what am I to say to my mother in law?

Everytrhing she does is the right way or the best thing to use.how can I make her under stand that things my way seem to work good for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• I would just explain it to her like this
    "While I am very grateful that you are giving me this advice, I also agree with the techniques I am using. If something I am doing does not work then I will put your advice to good use." and just be polite because the last thing you need with your mother in law is hostility. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm the Mom not you... deal with it.

Anonymous

• I had the same problem with my MIL, and I married her "baby" (of 6) so I was never going to do anything right! Finally we both gave a little, I would hear her out when she offered advise and she would brood silently when I did it my way anyway.
    She passed away 81/2 years ago and even though we never became the friend MIL/DIL some people are, I miss her terribly, and when I read these kinds of questions I wish she was still here to argue with....
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just listen politely. Then say, "That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing." When necessary, you add things like "I told my doctor about your suggestion. He said times and knowledge change and cautioned me to not do that." Even a plain old "I prefer this way. Isn't it funny how different moms do things differently and the children all turn out just fine?" can work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just tell her thank you, but i will do what i think is best for my family. Or tell her this is what will work for us.
    most important do not stay quiet.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would respect her first, and respect will follow. Sorry, I was born in 1980, and back then we learned to respect others, especially those that have more life experience than us. Just try at least to look at things from her point of view. Doing that in any situation will make you a more rounded human being.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009