How can I get my 18 month old to stop screaming all the time?

My 18 month old son is always screaming and yelling when he gets angry or frustrated. He even shrieks when happy. It is driving my husband and I crazy! Any ideas?

sarah70518

Asked by sarah70518 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know what to do about the happy shriek. But ignore the mad yelling. If he starts to yell, keep doing what you were doing before. Oh also give him plenty of attention when he behaves nicely. Soon enough he will learn that that kind of behavior doesn't get any attention. When my daughter started getting frustrated, I would say things like "Do you need help? What can I help you with? Help? You need help?" Emphasizing help. Soon enough she would start throwing a tantrum and remember to say help instead. I would also try to meet his needs as soon as possible. If he feels that you are responsive, he will be less prone to frustration and anger. Then you can teach him to say things like please, more, water, milk, etc.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• scream back
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• LOL. I was going to ask the same question for my 14 month old. He is just LOUD. He's my 3rd, so it's not me. He shrieks so loud our ears ring and then buzz afterward. Mostly it's when he's mad. Does a 14 month old get it when you ignore him? Seems young, but we've got to try something.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Have you thought of trying to teach sign langauge (it's easy) so that he can communicate. Think of how frustrating it must be for them not being able to tell you what they want or why they are upset. Just teach a few words, like "drink", "angry", "food", "more", and basic words that you would put to use.
    WhippleBaby

Answer by WhippleBaby at 4:11 PM on May. 2, 2009