Is it possible to have a meaningful relationship with a man if you can't stand his mother?

Long story...but my ex bf's mother is nothing but trouble. She has caused so many problems in our relationship, and I decided to cut off communication from her, for my own sake. She is welcome to see the baby but so far has refused (her loss).

My ex really wants us to get back together, and I'd love to, but I still want nothing to do with his mother. Is it possible to have a relationship with a man when you don't like his mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• It doesn't matter what she does to you but how you two react to her. If he is there and you and the baby are his priority, then I say it's possible. If he is a mama's boy in any way shape or form who hasn't cut off his umbilical cord to his mommy, daring run away and save yourself the trouble and aggravation. If he wants to get back with you, lay down the law now, make your NO NO list of things you expect of him and make him sign for it. Before I say yes to my DH proposal, I gave him five things I couldn't live with, they were:

1.- Never ever disrespect me in any way shape or form
    2.- Always put our family's interest first (Aka you and me that is the extend of out family, baby is included now that he is born) His family, my family are secondary.
    3.- Never, ever cheat on me
    4.- Never pick up a bad habit like gambling,etc.
    5.- never doubt that I love you unconditionally and we can work through almost anything but these abo
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• you can have a meaningful relationship yes....but how long it will last is another story. My ex husband's mother ruined our marriage...it is a HUGE part of why we are divorced...sorry to tell you that
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes only if he put you and his baby first and you move far enough from her.
    I had to cute off my in-laws. I just wish I would of done it 25-years ago.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes it is, as long as he understands where you are coming from and supports you. If it's an issue for him it will be an issue between the two of you and that will just make things worse.
    Anonymous

• From experience it will always be hard ...until he either puts her in her place or if not she will continue to butt in your lifes and make comments about everything.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Cont: above are deal breakers for me, so make your rules of NONO's and see if he can leave with them. Possible it is many of us live with MIL from hell but the difference between those who stay for the long run and those who give up is the DH's attitude about it.

I suggest you to check two groups in here: MIL Problems and My MIL is a crap burger LOL

Good luck in your decision, just make sure is one you can live with. If he is the one and he is willing to work hard to earn you and baby back, so be it, if not, oh well something better will be waiting for you.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• yes totally, my man has NO relationship with my mom (because of her not him) and it has gotten to the point where i dont have much of a relationship with her either because i couldnt take it anymore, i honestly dont even telling her when i get pregnant, (we at ttc now) which she also doesnt know. My DF is a wonderful man he treats me and my kids so well. I am so glad he has stuck with me despite my mother and her actions if you love him and he loves you and you have a child together you should try to work it out and just do not include her good luck and i hope everything works out
    mrsDcrawford

Answer by mrsDcrawford at 10:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I couldn't.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Only if he's not a mama's boy. Those types never let go of mama. Uggh.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If a man doesn't have a very close relationship with his mother then he can't have one with his wife. And any woman who doesn't want a man to have that relationship with his mother will never have a relationship with her son.
    Anonymous