When is a good time to pick a pediatrician

I havent picked a pediatrician yet, I was due yesterday, to be induced next tues. And I never picked a pediatrician!! Im new to this so Im no good at knowing what needs done, or asking questions. Also Im on medicaid and was wondering how to go about getting the baby insured then?!?

misssababe1128

Asked by misssababe1128 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can ask for recommendations from your OB they should know good ones .
    Anonymous

• Yesterday the day before girl get on it !!!! Lol
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, ask the OB or simply stop in to the hospital and ask the L&D nurses. Your baby will need to be seen by some pediatrician (even if it's not your final pick) before he is sent home.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ha i didnt pick one and had my daughter and the pediatrician at the hospital recommended one and she is great i love her! anyway point being is that the hospital can recommend some to you when you have baby. if you dont have one right when baby is born, theyll use the one at the hospital that is on call..

my jerk dr lied and told me i couldnt leave the hospital with my daughter without already choosing one. LIAR!! hes an ass though
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• BEFORE you give birth or else the pediatrician on call examines your baby and then you have to find one while having a newborn to take care of. As for the medicaid, after the baby is born (when you get home is ok) call your HMO/PPO and have him added or you can also call your caseworker and report it to her. I believe you have 10-30 days to report it. There should be a number on your card to call. They will also tell you what pediatricians are accepting new patients. Congrats and good luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Baby should be covered under your medicaid card for 30 days. In that time frame, you need to call and report the birth and send in the info they need to get baby some insurance coverage. As for the pediatrician, they will have an on-call doc come look after baby in the hospital, or a doc of your choice.

I didn't pick an actual pediatrician for my kids, but rather a family doctor. That way my kids will grow up having the same doctor they can trust. Basically, we picked the doctor that we felt cared more about his patients than he did money. We made sure he agreed that medical decisions are actually ours to make overall, and that he'd make sure to explain everything in a manner that ensures we can make an informed choice.

Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just get a list of doctors in your area or not that except medicaid and just start calling and asking if there excepting new borns/patients on medicaid because it constantly changes sometimes they do and sometimes they don't and if and when you find a pedi that does then they will most likely tell you to give them a call when the baby is born and when the baby is born call them and set up an appt for her first check up and you will fill out paper work and that's it.
    Anonymous

• your baby will be covered under your medicaide in the hospital and the first doctor appt. until you call them with her info. date of birth, name, etc.. then they will send the baby's medicaid card in the mail. You can get a list of doctors that except medicaid from the medicaid office they can mail it to you or you can pick it up. Make sure the doctor office you pick is clean and sanitary for the baby some doctors offices that except medicaid are filthy and make sure you like the doctor you don't have to settle for less because your on medicaid. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• ASAP ... But I would ask family and friends for references because something as important as who will be caring for your child is something I would not just settle for.I would also ask to tour the office first to see how the office is kept and if the staff were attentive.Good luck!
    leo72482

Answer by leo72482 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Never! Find a family doctor who you love. My spouse, child, sister and family and several friends all use the same doctor. No, we don't live in Mayberry, we live in Chicago.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009