I left uncooked beef out for 8 hours, covered in the crockpot

Is it ok to cook tomorrow in the crockpot for 9 hours and eat? I know everyone is going to say NOOOO but I'm asking if anyone has ever said screw it and went ahead and cooked it any way. And, if you did...did you get sick? Lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I say screw it, I have cooked something like that before and that was 3 years ago, still here to say "screw it". Then again what was the room temp.? I wouldn't do it if it had been summertime.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ummm are you crazy? no throw it out you left it out for eight hours covered or not
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My husband has left out steak and things before and we just made sure to really cook it good instead of medium or something. If it doesnt smell horrible we use it but its only happened maybe twice I can remember.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No way would I eat it, why take the chance. Please throw it out don't risk getting your entire family sick, I have had food poisioning and so has my son and it was HORRIBLE! I felt like I was dying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OP here
    lol it's not "summer" weather here. It's still sweater weather. It was in liquid so it would take some time to get to "room temp" lol

Let me say, I mixed up the sauce last night and put it in the fridge. I then put it all straight from the fridge to the crockpot and left for work. Sooooo, it was chilled. Does that make it better?
    Anonymous

• No, it doesn't matter if it is the dead of winter, it still sat out all day uncooked, you are just asking for trouble if you eat it. My 13 yr old just said that you shouldn't cook it or eat it. They just learned about bacteria and food safety in Family and Consumer Education (aka Home Ec). He said NO, before I finished asking the whole question, all I asked was I left uncooked beef out for 8 hours.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• why do you think humans never survived very long, ages and ages ago? There are rules for meat. I wouldn't take the chance of food poisoning. Its not worth having to sit for hours on the toilet or ending up in the hospital.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i will take a frozen lb. of hamburger out at 6am and not cook it till 5 in the evening. that is 11 hours. I do this daily! but then again..it was frozen for part of the time... ::Shrug::
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The temperature danger zone is between 41-141 degrees F. Anything in that range needs to be tossed out as it is a breeding ground for bacteria.

I am a Chef, so I am very careful with food handling. Foodborne illnesses are nothing to play around with.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I always thaw out my meat on the counter and sometimes it's over 8 hours and i will cook it that day and we have NEVER gotten sick over it.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009