Is it ok that my son doesn't drink water?

cage0101

Asked by cage0101 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmm..my guess would be no.we are all supposed to drink water..is he in danger form it..no.but you really should have him drinking water.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• He should be drinking water at least 2 glasses a day to help keep his system clean. Stop offering him milk and juice and only offer water and then give him the good stuff only after he drinks some water.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• NO!!! Try adding a little sugar! 1/2 tsp per 4oz. Also water down juice(1/2 water, 1/2 juice).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just keep trying to give it to him. try giving it to him in different ways. My son will not drink it out of a sippy cup but likes to drink it right out of the bottle, not a baby bottle, the regular bottle it comes in. He likes it with or with out a straw. but yes, he really should be drinking water. just be careful not to over hydrate him.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No, definitely not! Don't offer sweet drinks, only water. How old is he?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• if he doesnt drink any water than eventually hes gonna get constipated
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• water is a very important but you child is like many more i have seen in my work place that don't like the taste of water what i would suggest instead of forcing him to drink it is to maybe make cordial and just put a very little amount of cordial in it so it has a different colour to it and then gradually ween him off if the cordial pretty much taste like water then he will get use to the taste and another suggestion would be when you go to the park or somwhere not close to shops fill a bottle with just water if he becomes thirsty he has no choice but to drink it.
    tumtum360

Answer by tumtum360 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• That depends on his age and what else he is drinking. My daughter only took breastmilk until she was about 18 months old (no water, juice, milk etc). He should only be getting about 6 ounces of juice and 8 ounces of milk a day. What I found with the water is that if I have a bottle of water my kids want it, but if I put it in their sippy cup they won't touch it. Maybe try something like that and "share" your water with him even if you don't really drink it (but you really should to set an example). The suggestions to water down the juice are great too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No. By age two, water is the only beverage children need. Try getting a fun sippy cup or one with a built in straw. And you, Mom, need to set a good example by drinking your 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2009