Should a baby solely be fed breast milk or formula for the first year?

I keep hearing, "Well a baby CAN live on breast milk/formula for the first year without adding solids". But does that mean a baby SHOULD be on a strictly liquid diet until they are a year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only ones I see holding off solids for the first year are breastfeeding mums who are so paranoid that their milk supply will dry out that they'll withhold solid foods...it's pathetic really.
    Anonymous

• If you don't introduce other things young you will have a picky eater at 1 years old. It is part of their development to learn to chew and swallow. If you don't introduce foods until later on then your going to have a lot of stomach issues as their systems will be in shock even more. They get what they need from the formula or breast milk but they still need to learn to swallow foods and chew.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I used the pinsar (sp?) rule... that was about 8 months 2 weeks when we started solids just to try and taste I BF to 14 months with baby #2 -- with baby #1 I listened to the Drs and Nurses and failed miserably and had an awful first year... then I got smart joined LLL and read the Bradley book
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• no i don't believe so when my son turned 4 months i started him off on farex and then slowly started to introduce new food as he got older with my son you could tell he was ready to eat solids with his reactions he was doing when we ate he loved his food and still does he is five years old and have had no problems with him starting solids early
    tumtum360

Answer by tumtum360 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If you wait to introduce solids their "systems" are actually more developed and better able to handle solids that typically cause issues or allergies in babies. It is NOT true that their system will go into shock, and it is not true that they will be a picky eater just because you held off...

Whether or not you should I think is really up to you as the parent as long as you are following your baby's cues. They don't NEED other forms of nourishment for the first year but some babies become interested in trying solids sooner than others etc. So I personally, think you should go with your gut, so to speak.
    Anonymous