how do i get my 2.5 yr old boy to learn abcs and 123s?

im was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get my son to sit down and learn his abcs and 123s, i have tried numerous times to get him to say them and he just gets very distracted and doesnt want to stay still long enough.

Isaiahsmomma06

Asked by Isaiahsmomma06 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Count Everything! one step, two steps..... My daughter learned that way. I count everything i do with my kids. Its such a habbit i still do it with my almost 6 year old! LOL! it works!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• turn it all into a song. they aren't going to really sit still for "lessons" at that age, but if you get some cds w/different versions of the abc song, or different types of counting songs than play them during the day while hes playing he will start to sing them with the cds.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Singing everything helps my son too.
    Anonymous

• Sing sing sing all the time! We sing the Abc's in the bath, in the car, on a walk, at lunch time.. doesn't matter.. we always sing! As for counting, just start with 1 - 10 and count everyhting. Count his grapes at snack time, his blocks, his crayons, anything really. Repetition is key.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 10:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would always say the ABC's driving down the road, doing dishes, anytime of the day... Whether they are sitting down "learning" or not, they absorb little things like that. Also the frige phonics is really good...The magnets that stick on the side of the fridge. I would always tell my DD "find the A" and so on. And I always count random things..."How many birds are in the yard?" "1,2,3..3 birds" They learn much better that way, than if you make them sit still and try to teach them.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sit down? how boring! I"m bored he must think he's being tortured! LOL here's what I did every mornignI sing to him abc and 1-10 while were are dressing.... we go out and get on the swing at least 3x a week and I sing while I push abc and 1-10 ...(36 pushes and I"m done LOL) letter recognition.. I started with their names...I made possters and picture frames and all sorts of artsy stuff and taped them up all over and everytime we go by one i go "Oh look S-T-E-V-E-N" there is a R on the RRRefridgerator we made I go by and say "oh look R!" my 2.5 year old can recognize about 15 letters ..my 4 year old all 26 and 1-9.... having trouble with 10??
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i think singing it it great i did it with my son but realised he new how to sing the abc but didn't know what they were so i brought a ABC magnetic leap frog toy for around $20 nzdollars and it was wonderful it would sing the Abc and everytime you put a letter in to it it would say what it was and have phonic sounds aswell it was really great.
    tumtum360

Answer by tumtum360 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sing the ABC song everytime you wash his hands! That way he'll see it as being fun and he'll end up washing his hands long enough too.
    SAM610

Answer by SAM610 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• First of all, he is young and not real interrested in that yet but subtly can pick it up. Just sing the ABC song where he can hear it and count things when he is interrested.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Do NOT - EVER - try to get him to sit down and learn. That is not how preschoolers learn and trying to force him into the learning methods used for much older kids will kill his love of learning. No workbooks, no flashcards, no forced learning.

Try the suggestions at www.LetterOfTheWeek.com.
    When doing any type of "lesson", keep it fun:
    Use painters tape to write 3 or 4 letters on the floor then have races to see who can get to the letter you call out fastest. Obviously, you let him win most of the time.
    Do the same thing with numbers. Also count out things - goldfish crackers, steps you climb, number of bubbles that you blow and he pops.
    Fill a shallow pan with cornmeal and have fun drawing things in it with your fingers. This develops fine motor skills critical for learning to write.
    Try the Leap Frog DVDs - "The Letter Factory" is great.

Fun, fun, fun. That's the key. Dry and boring won't work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009