What is an appropriate age to let children play outside alone ??

My sister has a 5 and 6 year old and she lets them play in her yard while she is inside. It freaks me out but she thinks that they are fine. Well anyways she wont listen to me so im posting this for her to see that im not the only person out there that thinks 5 and 6 is to young of an age. So what do you think ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well after I found out that my neighbor is a sexual predator, I say never alone outside at any age!!! My DD is only 3 now, but even when she is older, there are just too many creeps out there!
    Anonymous

• i think its fine if you keep an eye on them and it is a safe neighborhood, as long as they aren't out for too long on their own. maybe 30 mins to an hour, if it was my kids though i would be sitting by the window most of the time so i could keep an eye on them, but i also live in a court so no cars passing and since its a court we know everyone and they know us and have for years so they would keep an eye out as well if they were outside etc...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I live in a really safe neighborhood and my 5 year old NEVER goes outside without me. If our backyard were fenced in I might let him go out for a little while on his own, but I doubt it. I just can't do it, I have to know where they are when they are outside at all times because absolutely anything can happen. Maybe I'm paranoid, but my kids are safe.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ...8--9 years old
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It really depends on where you live.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• 21 years old. Seriously, I don't know how people let their children run around alone or ride their bikes all by themselves. I see young kids pass by my house alone a lot. 5 and 6 was barely okay when I was a child (I'm 31) . . . it certainly is FAR too young now.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think it is fine as long as she watches and listens for them and lives in a calm neighborhood. My oldest is 11 and she goes out w/ her sisters who are 7 and watches out for them, when they are here w/out her, I send them into the privacy fence with the dog. They only can go out in a pair, though.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think 5 and 6 are plenty old enough for them to play in their fenced back yard. No wonder kids nowadays are turning into whiny, lazy, wimps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Depends on the place. My kids are all allowed out in the back yard alone including my 3yo. She plays in the sandbox. She's usually out there with the other kids, though because she gets bored alone.
    Since last year the older 3 have been allowed out front alone. They were 5, 6, and 7 last year.

This year their boundaries have increased and they take the 3yo out with them. On Friday and Saturday they spent the entire day outside only coming in to eat and use the bathroom. I barely saw them. The 3yo isn't allowed out front without her siblings and the 6yo has to stay right in front of the house unless her brother or sister is with her (because is kind of flighty and has seizures). But otherwise I trust them.
    I check on them every 20-30 minutes or if I haven't heard them in awhile (you can hear them almost anywhere with the windows open).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my backyard is completely fenced in, and i have 3 dogs who bark like crazzzzzy if the neighbors get to close to the fence or if someone comes up the driveway..plus i live in a safe neighborhood...my daughters played outside by herself since she was 2..as long as the dogs are out there with her...and when she was that young i checked up on her constantly..she'll be 5 tomorrow, and well..shes very loud..lol..and talkative, so i can hear her a mile away!!! lol bu she is not allowed in the front by herself...only in the back where its fenced in..

i take her to the park all the time, and whenever we are there, theres a lil boy there who is 4, and he goes to the park all by himself..he lives right across from it, but 2 houses down..and his parents are nowhere to be seen..if they were outside in the front then MAYBE ok..but..theyre not..and it drives me crazy!! cuz this kid walks into the forest by himself..talk about scary!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009