staf infection?? or MRSA

does anyone know the difference.. My 1 year old has a staf infection on her buttocks but just recently she has recieved swelling on her ankle just like the swelling from her staf infection but her doctor says that staf infection doesnt spread like that ... so we had an xray done on her ankle and they didnt find any breakage ... and the doctor that took the xray said it looked to him like some kind of an infection ....She has stopped walking and playing favors to her foot for almost a week now... the doctor has switched her to different antibiotics 3 times now in 3 weeks. My mother is convinced that it is MRSA I dont know what to think... I just know my baby isnt getting any better but worse :( Any advice is helpful

h_hoenicke

Asked by h_hoenicke at 10:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• YES have them re-culture the wound and in 3 days demand to see the sensitivity report.... and have them explain each one to you....if it is methacillin resistant staff aureus (AKA MRSA) tell them you want her admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics until it starts to clear up (and then you should go home on an oral 10 day course).... if it spread from a Butt to an ankle you could be looking at a sepsis in the making and for a 1 year old that can be dangerous.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sound serious, I would get in the doctors case and demand testing after testing until things get ruled out.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ask for an infectious disease doctor. They are specialized in this kind of thing even for babies and will help pinpoint the menace making your baby sick. Staph lives on your skin and can pop up anywhere the resistance is down. Please take her to an infectious disease doc or even to the ER. ER docs are trained to recognize bad infections that may require IV antibiotics. GL and trust your gut on this one, you will be glad your did.

It could very well be MRSA. That is a staph that is resistant to Methicillan (an antibiotic used to treat regular old staph). That could be why she is not getting better. You need a doc w/ more experience to treat her. Take it from a nurse, get a second opinion, she should be getting better.
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to scare you but what I read(scanning) is that msra(google what is mrsa) is a deadly form of staff! Now I live with staff, and IT IS SPREADABLE!!! All it takes is a small nik or scratch, dirty finger nails and or bacteria and you're bound to get one! Try getting to dry out with rubbing alcohol(strongest one, I think its 90% alcohol), wash all her items with hot water and a small amount of bleach to kill it. If in 3 days no change(even with new antibiotics) get her a second oppinion, but make an appointment with dermotology asap!!! Good luck, hope she feels better and ALL goes well!!!! HUGS to you both!!! Its not fun but at least she has you by her side!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Did you watch opera today? They had dr oz on talking about mrsa. Does she have a fever? Usually people with mrsa have high fevers, nausea, vomiting. It sounds strange to me that if it were mrsa that it would be able to spread from the butt to the ankle without affecting the knee area. Not saying that it isn't mrsa you need to have her tested for it. They do have a certain test to specifically rule mrsa out, demand it! Mrsa is nothing to mess around!! Keep us updated. Did she maybe hit her ankle on something and just bruised the bone?
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• oops i meant Oprah. LOL sorry.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No she may not run a temp, the bug she has may be somewhat sensitive to the antibiotic she is on but it may not be strong enough to kill it completely. Have they done blood cultures to check for sepsis? It is a pain and requires two sticks. A wound culture is not accurate unless it is an open wound. Unless they stick a needle in it and aspirate it out, that gives more opportunity for infection to grow.

Please go to an infectious disease doc.
    Anonymous

• MRSA is Staph. It is simply a more vicious and resistant form of staph.

If this were my child, I would take them to the emergency room right now and stop waiting for the doctor to fool around with it. In both nursing school as well as serving clients in a nursing home as a Social Worker where MRSA tends to be a huge problem, I know not to mess with Staph. If there is an infection in one part of the body and swelling and pain show up in another part of the body, you won't have to tell me twice to get to the hospital, I can tell you that. As a former ER employee, I don't often recommend telling people to go there but in this case, it's honestly what I would do.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ok, first I've personally have battled staph myself MULTIPLE times along with my members of my family. We were getting it from the gym and quit shortly after figuring it out. Staph spreads VERY easily. Once infected once, it makes it so much easier to get it somewhere else. Just because she had it in one spot and now she's got it in another doesn't automatically mean its MRSA. Another thing I've learned...letting them lance it open and drain it usually makes it heal faster and relieves some of the pain. If there are no signs of improvement in usually 3 days they say to come back, but usually the script takes 10 days to go through. If its not better its prbly MRSA, but then i'd be questioning why they haven't had her test for it by now if she's been on 3 scripts. Fever's are a sign of MRSA too. I'd seek a second opinion asap. It is VERY painful and miserable. Do not delay any longer. Keep us posted and good luck!
    Anonymous

• It needs to be cultured and plated. Definitely get her seen. You don't want it to get worse. Even if it's not MRSA, they can give her something if it's a STAPH infection. There are different bacteria out there, and they are all sensitive to different antibiotics. They will need to culture it to find out what will knock it out. I used to work in a hospital lab. Make sure they actually take a swab to the infected areas (both of them), and work them up. It will take a few days to get the results (you can't make bacteria grow any faster than that), but at least you'll be able to get it treated the right way. Hang in there, and good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009