Im getn married soon and was wondering do the braids maides buy their own stuff? :)

angelkcm2

Asked by angelkcm2 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• They buy their own dresses and shoes. The bride sometimes buys their accessories as the gift to them. That's what my daughter is doing.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• They're supposed to. I bought my bridesmaids their dresses because one was 15, one was broke and two were coming from out of state. They provided everything else for themselves.

Just do what's right for your situation :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• yes they pay for their own outfits. try not to pick anything to expensive, no matter how nice a dress is the chances of them actually getting to wear it again are very slim, so you dont' want to have people spend $300 on a dress they can only wear once. but yes, they pay for their dresses, shoes, hair, makeup etc....my sister found gorgeous dresses that were $125 each, we picked out our own shoes and all paid for our hair and make up. her bridal party gifts were a matching necklace and earrings for each of us so she paid for those since they were our gifts.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• sorry... BRIDES MAIDS! Not braids maides :-)
    Anonymous

• I think it's awful that bridesmaids are expected to buy their own dresses, particularly since the dresses really aren't wearable again. I bought my friends their dresses, and they picked them out. Since I was buying 6 dresses (don't ask), I was able to negotiate a lower price with the store.

I've also been a bridesmaid/maid of honor 4 times. Each times I bought my own dress, and I never wore any of those dresses, no matter the good intentions of the bride. The dresses ranged in price from $150-$450. I've just been asked to be in a cousin's wedding and declined because I am tired of someone else's wedding costing me a ton of money (dress + accessories+shower+whatever else =$1000+).

If you feel at all guilty, it is "tradition" and before ready made dresses, bridesmaids were expected to buy their own fabric and make their own dresses.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I say do what your budget can afford. If you can afford to pay for them, then its a nice gesture. After all, they are doing you a favor. If not though, its their responsibility and thats why you ASK them to be in your party. I would have to say that we know when we're asked that its part of the responsibility. I would definately take them with you to pick out a dress to make sure its something that one - looks decent (not gonna be perfect) on everyone and two - is within everyones price range. You're going to have people disagree, but if you can narrow it down to a couple dresses that they like, agree on, and is in their price, then you pick the one you like in the end. It makes for a happier bridal party.
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I bought my bridesmaid dresses but if you can't and if you're having them pay, be as considerate as possible with the dress (likelihood of wearing again, don't buy Vera Wang or Tori Burch sandals to match). People tend to be annoyed by it. Also, maybe keep the bridesmaid number low.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my bridesmaids are buying their own dresses. sometimes they can be really inexpensive. my bridesmaids are getting their dress from victoria's secret for about $75 and they are getting their own shoes. I told them as long as their shoes matched they didnt have to wear the same shoes as eachother. I haven't decided if i'm buying them earings or not because I am already getting them a compact mirrior and some mary kay products as their gifts, so we'll see
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My bridesmaids bought their own dress and shoes, and they are doing their own hair and make up...but i let them pick out the dress and shoes...since theywould be the ones wearing it/paying for it! This way, they are all very happy with what they got and cant talk about me later =) llol
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 12:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• what I did so they would all like their dress and ge tot pick it sort of still was pick like 5 dresses that I liked for my wedding and than they voted on which one they wanted. we actually did this three times so they actually picked out of 15 dresses but the third time all the bridesmaids picked the same dress
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2009