Is drinking in college bad for students?

I am doing an argumentative essay for school and this is my research topic. Any feed back would be grately appreciated.

MamiCaz5

Asked by MamiCaz5 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think excessive drinking is bad, but drinking here and there is just part of the college experience.
    Anonymous

• I dont think it is bad for many students. For me it was bad bc i got too carried away and let it affect my grades and my life. However, there were many people that drank once a week or even all the time, and they still did very well. It depends on the student and how well they can keep their goals into perspective.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 10:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Considering the fact that many students are away from their parents for the first time, it is not very easy to control drinking. (No one judges you when you are drank at 8am and goes to the class. If living with the parents, it's usually difficult to do that for many different reasons.) If drinking is not under control, a student might lose a focus, thus not learn which is the purpose of college. Drinking itself is neither good nor bad. It's only one of the temptations students faces in college days. Making drinking or any other temptations good or bad depends on the students' ability to put their life under control.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If it gets out of hand, of course. If drinking becomes your main priority over school, grades are going to suffer. Same thing with work. I think it really depends on the person... each person is different and able to control themselves in different ways.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Excessive drinking is bad for anyone. As long as it's legal I don't see a problem with it. It all boils down to self control and self respect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I didn't know one soul that didn't drink themselves into a good time over and over and over again in college. What's to argue? At some point, you have to learn how to deal with alcohol, I believe it's just the age/time frame and you happen to be in college. Of course, frat parties probably make it worse. I can admit to that. But you do have to learn at some point and if you're in college, hopefully you're not driving anywhere but walking to the dorms or your apartment. It is a life lesson of self control in this and many other areas e.g. sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think that drinking that affects you life and your choices is bad whether in college or not. But in college I don't think that it has to be part of the college experience. It all comes down to self control and choices.
    Meswtp

Answer by Meswtp at 4:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009