Does anyone know anything about anxiety attacks?

I have been having anxiety attacks daily. Sometimes a couple of times a day. My husband is deployed and I think it is the stress that is just getting to me. Would it be worth my time to go see a doctor? Are they going to do anything for me or is there nothing they can do? Please, any information that you can give me would be helpful. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• OH I have been having the same problem...it was pretty bad lately. Don't see a doctor or psychiatrist...TAKE tons of vitamins and go see a therapist. If none of that helps then see your doctor or psychiatrist. I have made it thus far without meds and am taking my multi vitamin makins SURE It has B6 and B12...and Magnesium and Zinc and IRON. Take st. johns wart 3 times a day and omega 3 fish oil 3 to 4 times a day. Stay away from too much caffine, sugar, and chocolate!!!!! Small bits of chocolate can be benificial but too much can be detramental in this case.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 10:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OMG go to the doctor please. They can give you meds to take to stop the attacks. Anxiety is noooo fun I used to have them daily until I was prescribed cymbalta and now I feel so much better, very calm and no more depression. Good Luck!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You should absolutely see a doctor or therapist.

Anxiety can be caused by stress in your life which talking to a behavioral therapist can really help. They can teach you tools to use to calm yourself down and talking to someone who KNOWS how to listen is always valuable.

Stress can also be caused by imbalances in the nervous system. If therapy doesn't help you, it is possible that your anxiety is imbalanced chemistry and taking a medication might help restore natural balance. You won't have to be on medication all the time necessarily. Some anxiolytics can be taken only when you feel you need them.

I don't believe in "just dealing" with anxiety. Foremost, it is a medical condition that needs to be treated, just like any other illness. Also, you shouldn't have to feel that way. Anxiety can lead to secondary physical illnesses (like high blood pressure, ulcers etc.).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have anxiety really bad and have been on Xanax for about 12 years. I am going to tell you NOT to take St. John's Wort until you have been to the Dr. There could be other factors involved. Thyroid issues may also cause your problems.
    Anonymous

• (cont.) and last but equally as important, Anxiety affects the way we percieve the world around us. It affects how much we enjoy things and it affects how we react to things. It also affects our relationship with other people. I tend to make very bad decisions when I am anxious.

You owe it to yourself to get this taken care of. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• make sure you do lots of research before you take those medications!! Medications are actually made for you to be on for a short period of time and your not supposed to take them for a long period of time. Talk to your doctor about it thoroughly and don't just take something you don't really know anything about.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 10:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Anyone that is about to go through a radical change in diet or is thinking about taking vitamin suppliments SHOULD see a doctor first. Vitamins (save for C and B complex) are fat-soluable and shouldn't be taken (especially in excess) if you are not found to be deficient.

Altering your diet to be full of protein, fiber, B vitamins, nuts, seeds, oily fishes and zinc is very benneficial. However, that's for general mood. For panic attacks, that is doctor territory.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OP: the thing is, I'm not depressed at all, I am stressed out sometimes, I just don't know why I am having them so often. It is really scary sometimes. It happens more often at night time. I don't want to be on an anti depressant. But, I guess I really do need to see a doctor, I just wasn't sure if there was anything they could do for me.
    Anonymous

• An anti depressant is NOT necessarily what you need. If you go the doctor route, ask for a reference to a psychiatrist who can do a better evaluation in THEIR area of expertise. My medical doctor treated me for depression and it put me in the hospital in a matter of a few hours. I did NOT need meds for depression, I needed them for panic attacks. A psychiatrist realized immediately what was wrong and prescribed different meds. I have been on Klonopin for 14 years now and it's been the BEST thing for me! I also saw a behavioral therapist that helped me to recognize the kind of thinking that begins the vicious cycle ending in panic attacks. I still get the anxious feeling but between meds and relaxation techniques I can get past it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• yes, see a dr. and be careful taking st johns, especially if u r on birth control, it will counter-act it. i know when i have anxiety attacks its usually cuz i have taken on way too much for me to handle. it's my body's way of saying slow down u r doing too much! :) so i try to listen. i take a low dose medication daily for depression and anxiety, but nothing that is habit forming, be careful with those. good luck! i have found that personally, it helps me to exercise sometimes if i feel one coming on. just a tip for ya :)
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009