How do I join a church?

There is a church a few blocks from my house that I've been dying to visit along with my 10 month old baby.

Do I just "show up" on Sunday morning? Or do I have to call ahead to get permission from the pastor? Can I keep my daughter with me, or do I have to place her in the nursery?

The church members are mostly white...will they stare at me and my daughter the entire time we're there? Or will they accept us?

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• you are free to visit churches anytime they are having services. keep your baby with you, if you feel you need to. if she/he gets fussy, just take her out for a walk down the hall/foyer, until she quiets down again--if you think this might be embarrassing, its not...every mother who has had a child in church has had them make noise. kids are awesome! they might even have a 'moms' room where you can sit and still view/hear the services, without having to worry about your baby distracting anyone.
    also, please don't be in a hurry to join just any church. do your homework first. ask the ushers/pastor-anyone who you can talk to, after services, during the week or whenever is convenient for you, about what they believe/what their 'mission statement' is/what groups/classes they have available to you and your child, should you choose to become active/involved/want to meet other parishioners/members. 'date' first; then 'marry'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Continued: I forgot to mention that I am not white
    Anonymous

• just go in and if there trying to do the will of God they will accept you for who you are . You can tell when you walk in there if people are going to be nice or not and if you feel unconformable just leave

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Go in and sit and visit. Churches have visitors all the time! They most likely will be very happy to have you ( regardless of race :) )and be very accepting. If for some reason, you feel uncomfortable, you can leave at any time too.

You will not have to put her in a nursery either.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Will you feel comfortable in a white church. I am hispanic live in the deep south. People tend to see faces in church or out. Go where you feel welcome and comfortable. Don't join right away till you get a Word from the Lord.
    Anonymous

• I haven't been to a church yet (and I've probably been to 50 different churches, if not more, across the country) that doesn't LOVE visitors! Yes, they absolutely SHOULD accept you and be kind and gracious to you (I can't speak for a church, not all churches honor and serve God like they are supposed to). You do not have to put your child in the nursery if you don't want to. I don't put my son in my church's nursery. You can attend, you don't have to let anyone know you're coming :-)

If you decide you want to join the church, you can speak with the pastor after the service and ask him how to become a member. Non-members can come to church regularly but there are some bennefits to officially joining a church. A pastor at any church ought to be more than willing to answer any question you might have.

Anon 11:24, sounds to me like she already has received the Word from God :-)

Good luck OP!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• just come and visit once, if you are stared at and ignored than you do not want to be a memebr of that church. The color of your skin should not matter. i asm white and made to feel very welcome at the black churches tha tI have visited.
    I never put my address on the first attendance book I sign. I also give a great church a second visit
    to make sure it wasn't a f;uke.
    Good luck nd May God open the hearts of teh memebrs of this church and have them act like Chrisitans are suppose to.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I sure hope it's not an LDS church because they will talk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2009