how can i get my 3 yr old to stop hitting me when hes mad?

My son is going to be 3 in 1 month and he keeps hitting me when he's angry or doesn't get his way! He says " I want to hit you mommy!" And then he hits me or kicks me and I tried time out, I tried light spanking his butt, and it ALL makes him wanna hit me even more... Please tell me you have some advice.

eyeamdream

Asked by eyeamdream at 11:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if hes warning you before he does it i would grab his arms and hold him until he's done throwing his tantrum. if you don't get a warning, slap his hand, not hard just hard enough for him to know its not acceptable. (if everything else doesn't work first) my daughter is 3 and when she does something that isn't nice now, i tell her i am sad b/c she was mean and that i won't talk to her until she apologizes. she is old enough to understand that and will come apologize when she is ready. and then we talk about why whatever she did was wrong and hurts peoples feelings.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would hit him harder on the butt, send him to his room and don't let him out until he realizes what he did was wrong. Does his dad say anything to him? If my boys did anything like that...oh man. My husband and I would be on them for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Mine hits me when he is mad too, so I usually just take him over to the couch or something and tell him to sit there until he's done. He never sits there, but I ignore him unless he tries to hit again, and I'll pick him up and plop him on the couch again and tell him not to hit. I tell him it's ok to be mad, but it's not ok to hit or throw his toys (which he will also do) He usually ends up hitting his legs or something. But he gets over it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• "Honey, you're mad. You need to use your mad words. Hitting is not ok and it hurts mommy very much. Tell me, "MAD" if that helps. Tell me why you are angry."

Have this conversation consistently maybe when he's in the car and happy. That will get it into his brain and he'll recognize it when you say it to him during his fits.

just thoughts.... I've got an 18 month old who I'm hoping won't get to this stage. He hits me all the time and I 'm trying to voice his anger.... give him a word to use so when he's mad at something, I yell "MAD. MAD. MAD." and hold his hands down.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:19 PM on May. 3, 2009