swine flu

Okay, so I know everyone is probably sick of hearing about this...but I'm concerned (probably overly concerned) about it. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I'm soooo paranoid that I will get it! If I weren't pregnant I wouldn't be thinking about it but I keep hearing how dangerous it is for the fetus :(

Of course I have stuffy nose, scratchy throat and headache...which I believe is just allergies but still getting more all worrisome.

Anyone else feeling overdramatic about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• You have allergies for sure. Pregnancy aggravates all that fun stuff. I've had a stuffy nose from day one. I blow my nose so often that it bleeds a lot. There's no reason to feel bad about being concerned about it. You're pregnant and those mommy brain cells have kicked in. I also have anxiety, so I get paranoid about stuff like that but have to try to educate myself so I know if I should be scared.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• if you feel as if you have the flu, achy muscles(nonpregnancy related), fever, diarrhea, etc. then go to the doctor asap. but realize that going to the doctor could also put you at risk of catching it there. just take extra precautions. carry hand sanitizer with you everywhere. do not touch other people and when you touch a door handle or anything someone else may have touched, use sanitizer. carry antibacterial wipes with you. wash your hands all the time. be very careful and stay at home as much as possible.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ohh youre not the only one..i work at a drug store, and holllly crap we sold sooo many of those masks today that cover your mouth/nose..lol..so no you are not alone!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I normally do freak out over things that shouldn't be a cause of anxiety. I do think the flu could get much worse than a lot of people are expecting it to, and the CDC did say we could expect deaths from it in the US, but then again thousands die from the regular flu every year. So right now, I am not TOO concerned. We are still going out to public places, no confirmed or suspected cases in Washington state right now that we know of, and we are still planning a family vacation in the middle of May to an indoor water park. So we will see.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• the masks that are being sold in the drugstores are basically useless against the flu. They are mostly used by healthcare to protect them from droplets. The flu virus can go right through the masks. Just an FYI. Don't waste your money on the masks.

It sounds like you are having allergies, but you should see your doctor anyway. Being pregnant and ill is the least fun you could have.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009