How long should a baby at 4 months now?

ok i have a 4 month old daughter who i put on tummy timeand i have since after her first baby well appointment for maybe at most a half an hour a day but split up to about 10 minutes at a time, she was rolling over at 3 weeks old i think it was more because shed get so mad though, but now she just falls asleep after crying for 5 minutes. i try to catch her when shes not tired, but she still falls asleep, and she stopped rolling over she does every once in awhile but not as much, shes been holding her own head up pretty steadily since a month old, and its gotten even better since, but now i wanna know how long should i be putting her on tummy time for, i put toys out for her to reach out and grab too, and how should i practice with her helping her to beable to sit up on her own? how many different ways can you practice with that?

LA09TKP

Asked by LA09TKP at 11:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about the sitting up quiet yet. That will be something to work on more when she is crawling.

Put her on her tummy as long as she will stand it, but if it seems that she is just laying there and not trying anything, go ahead and let her play on her back. Just laying there is not productive. We got Kaylee a play mat that has toys that hang above her to play with on her back, but also other things on the mat to encourage her to want to roll over onto her tummy.

Another way to get tummy time in is to let her lay on your chest on her belly and she will try to look at you. That will help strengthen the same muscles that regular tummy time will.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• yeah i do the whole laying on my back with her on my belly on her belly, i mean she gets mad for 5 minutes but just gives up. its like wow...i think she might be a pretty lazy baby, i also have a bouncy chair that lays back almost flat with toys above she can play with that i put her in. oh ya sparked another question what is the typical age babies crawl by?
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 11:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The bouncy chair that she can play in is not going to encourage her to roll onto her belly. Because she has no place to roll to.

There really is no age that they should be doing anything until about 1 1/2 years. Each child is so different...my daughter crawled at 5 months, but I have seen this same question asked multiple times, and have seen the ages range from 4 months to 11 months. Its so random...the same goes for walking, pulling themselves up on things, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• ok yeah your right, if i put her on her back with no toys over her she gets so mad...i need to get one of those playmats. thats my next investment
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my son is 2 weeks old and he is on his tummy for about 5 mins at a time,a nd is able to turn his head and lift it. He gwets tired after about 5 mins tho, and so I do not worry too much about it. Yanno my son is 14 yrs old and we nbever worried about "tummy time" lol they just did what they did and it all was fine. no worries, you sound liek a good mom and she will work it all out.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Neither of my kids liked tummy time, so we didn't really do it. Generally, if they hate it, skip it. (JMO)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2009