what was your first year of marriage like?

we all hear the horror stories about the first year of marriage...so ladies pleaze share what your first year of marriage was like, and advice, and tips.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Horror stories...who have you been talking to lol...I've been married for a year and 9 months and it's been amazing we have our ups and downs like everyone else, nothing serious just everyday life shit, but I love the married life and I'm very happy. Advice...let's see always give each other respect and lots of love and hugs and kisses(muah).
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My first year of marriage was the hardest so far (2 1/2 yrs). I don't know what changed in me but I was angrier, and he never wanted sex and that made it worse.

Six months in, though, things started to level off and now we're happy :) Not that we were UNhappy in the first year, but we're happier now.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I forgot the advice part!

TALK. About everything. Make time to spend together. Conceed to each other's needs. Recognize that just because you don't understand it or need it yourself that doesn't mean it's not somethign HE needs. Love yourself. Love him. ENJOY. Always enjoy whenever you can :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Oh, you opened the can, now!!!

I almost divorced my hubby the first year.

We married and moved into the house he lived in on his parent's ranch. I though they were going to give us privacy. In two months, my hubby's uncle, and cousin (my same age and a girl!) were moved into the house with us. In the room next to us. They were in from another state to help with the building of a barn. And of course, had to stay in that house with us. For about three months+ it was HELL for me. NO privacy. The room the uncle stayed in was sharing a wall with our room. Niiiiicccceeee.

Anyway, after almost 25 years of marriage...I still highly recommend getting your OWN place first thing!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Communicate, communicate! My husband and i have now been married almost 6 years and the first year was hard. He got laid off, I was working mininum wage, and we pretty much had no money. We did not get govt assistance( we were really to proud to take it anyways). Thank GOd we did not have our son. Things got better about 6months in b/c he got this awesome job that saved us. I was still going to college,had to quite so we could eat! Now: we are 10x better and really feel we are stronger because of it. I am back at college, SAHM, and hubby just got promoted with a raise. Now govt assistance would not help b/c he has make to much money every year we have been married.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• For me it was the second year. Communicate but LEARN to communicate instead of taking the first sentence out of his mouth and picking it apart. LISTEN and then speak. The past is the PAST where it needs to be left. Don't keep bringing it up for current arguments as it's not fair.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well, I was pregnant for most of the first year. We had our share of arguments, but more than that, we had lots of fun together. My husband is really my best friend. We work together as a team really well (especially on video games lol) . Sure there were times I questioned if I had done the right thing marrying him, and times I just wanted to go back to the old life I had before, but if any marriage didnt have tribulations, I would be worried!! A lot of stuff happened to us in the first year... he PSCd to Texas, meaning we had to leave all of our friends behind and live somewhere new, I found out I was pregnant, our house got burglarized, he met my mother for the first time, we went on vacations back home, I had a baby... and we overcame everything together and it made us stronger for it. And now in our second year,he is in Iraq for just about all of it, so we are constantly being tested. Just stick with it is the best advice
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Our first year was pretty hellacious!!! I had known my husband for 29 years and considered him to be one of my best friends but I think that all the rules changed and we were really set in our ways and didn't go with those changes very well. Plus I moved 250 miles, left my job and did all the starting over. There was a part of me that resented the fact that I made all of the "sacrifices". The hardest thing was the blending families. I had to learn that I couldn't force it to work a certain way and I had a lot to get used to with his "babymama" and his daughter. Both are pretty difficult and I felt like I was really hitting my head against a wall alot. I've learned to take a whole lot in stride. I've learned to accept the fact that my step daughter is less than thrilled that her daddy got married...that's her issue. We have done everything to accomodate her. But we won't lose our marriage because of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• What horror stories.. Mine was so great.. We traveled a lot the first year.. Bought a motorcycle and just went all over PA, NJ, and NY.. We'd start off early in the morning and just find a road and go.. We stayed at this one hotel that was so creepy we ended up leaving before the night was over since the closet door kept opening and the water kept turning on in the bathroom.. Yea we were ready to leave that's for sure.. It was fun though...
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009