Church of Christ

Has anyone been to a Church of Christ Church. What is it like? What are their believes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We believe in what the bible says, basically. Where the bible speaks we speak. Where the bible is silent we are silent. We do not use instrumental music in worship service, just accapella songs. I'll be happy to talk to you more about this, but I just noticed the time. Feel free to pm me. Before I go though, I will say that the Church of Christ is the closest to the New Testament church I've seen. We take the Lord's supper (communion) each week. The people are friendly and hlepful.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My mil is Church Of Christ. She had been begging me to go with her. So I told her that if the church believes in the rapture and that Israel (the state/.county) was God's chosen, then I would not go with her. She suggested I call the pastor. I did and he said that they do not believe in the rapture and do not believe that Israel (the state/country) is God's chosen! It was disappointing that they did not play music. They did sing, and only to God, would it sound good.

For those of you that want to call me anti semantic, save your energy. It don't bother me. I am not a pc person. You are who you are and I am who I am. If you can not see that we are True Israel and that the state/country is ran by evilness then I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on great knowledge!
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 2:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The only issue I have with it is that they truly believe anyone who is not a Church of Christ member is going to hell. And anyone who is Church of Christ (rather they come to church every Sunday, or just once a year) is going straight to Heaven. That seems a little off to me personally
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i grew up CoC & went to a private CoC Christian university.

they believe that the Bible is God's infallible word. they do believe that they & only they are right & going to Heaven. the majority of them believe instrumental music is against what the Bible teaches so much so that clapping is an instrument in the more extreme churches. there is no hierarchy & each church is on its own, but the community of churches do work together. some churches believe eating in the church building is against the Bible, but this has slowly stopped. dancing is a sin, drinking (at all in some churches) is a sin, "mixed bathing" (mixed gender swimming) is a sin, etc. they do not believe in the rapture, Revelation is not taken literally. Communion is taken every Sunday. they teach that they are the only church who baptizes (talk about embarrassing when i learned that wasnt true). they were considered a cult when they started b/c of the rules. cont
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• but they are not a cult. they just have a lot of silly rules that aren't Biblical. the rules are there to protect ppl from their own selves, but in a ridiculous fashion (imo).

each CoC is different, but i have been to many as my father was military & we moved a lot. i heard a LOT of negative talk about ppl of other faiths (even other Christian faiths) & at one church was told it was a sin to listen to ANY Christian music w/ instruments. i found the CoC to be just as 2-sided as many churches, as in "this thing in the Bible is a sin, but this one isn't".

however, they are nice ppl & (imo) arent any better or worse than any other church out there.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2009