for those of you single mothers how much do you get of income tax at the end of the year with one child under 5 yrs old and low income?

right now that i'm married to my husband only he works and we're low income and I have a 4 yr old so they send us 4,000 of income tax but we want to get a divorce and i'll start working at a minimun wage job, will I still get 4,000 at the end of the year? because I want to finish paying this place where i'm living at thats why i was wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I believe that 4,000 is the EIC, its based on income so if you are making min. wage and you claim your child (not your dh) then you should still get that back. i got that this year and last.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You wouldn't get as much, and custody of your child will have a lot to do with it. You can't both claim him once divorced, the primary parent will be the one claiming him. I have sole custody of my son but even I don't claim him because he is on my parents health insurance plan since we lived with them after I seperated from my now ex husband. So, they have claimed him the last two years, they will not this year because I've moved out and I'm financially sound now, but on last years taxes even without claiming him I received about $1200 from Federal! What you receive next year will be reduced from what you are used to.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009