When should children stop using sippy cup

I've been trying to encourage my 4-year old daughter to drink milk from a cup but she insists on using the sippy cup. Should I let her continue with the sippy cup or should I be strict and 'force' her to use a cup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NO, no more sippy cups at 4. She'll be the only one who can't hold a cup in preschool. Plus, it's bad for teeth.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Stop 4 is too old for a sippy cup
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 4 year old knows how to drink from a cup but I have him use a sippy sometimes because he is one clumsy child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she only takes her sippy cup (she has one) when we go on long car rides or when she goes to sleep at night (with water only because she gets dehydrated easily).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If she is going to attend preschool, they don't (usually) use sippy cups there. My 3 year old attends a couple days a week and they don't have sippy cups in his class.

When at the table, allow her only a regular cup. Unless there is a developmental delay, she should be able to handle a regular cup fairly easily. Consider switching to straw cups for around the house or out and about (they have spill proof ones) or even sports bottles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter stopped using the sippy cup at 2.5y. she started kindergarten at 2 and they drink out of regular cups there so she only had her sippy cup at home lying on the couch drinking her morning milk
    Janeeva2005

Answer by Janeeva2005 at 5:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Leave this child alone. If she knows how to drink out of a regular cup then thats all you need. If she attends preschool, she will follow right along with the other kids. At home, if she wants to use a sippy cup then whats the deal. If you get all your information off of CM you will be big time confused. First they all like to start their 6 mo olds on sippys because the bottle is bad, then a toddler on sippy is bad. If a sippy cup is SO bad, then why are yall proponents for getting a baby less than year old to drink out of one? Wouldnt that mean they would be on it longer? I just dont' get the advice around here sometimes. My 3 yr old took a bottle until he was 2 and a passy until he was almost 3 and if he finds a passy around here, he will suck it. I dont care, its not bothering me and its not hurting his teeth as his teeth are fine. He can drink out of a cup, but I don'; feel like cleaning up the mess. Leave her alone.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Buy a big kid sippy cup, the have a lid that is more like a regular cup, once she is use to it, change to a regular cup. Sometimes it is just uncomfortable for the child to make a drastic change like going from a spout sippy to a regular cup. My dd is 4 and she had surgery when she was 2 so she used her sippy until right before she turned 4, but the big kid kind, they are not as bad on teeth. Just try to explain big girls don't use sippys, point out other kids not using them (look on tv or at friends houses). It a big change for some like going from a bottle to a sippy so just try to be patient, she will decide she doesn't want it and it will probably happen soon. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The answer is when you are ready to deal with spills. My 13 year old drinks (we really only drink water) out of a Sigg bottle; she had warm soymilk in bed every morning in a sippy cup until she was about ten.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• whn they learn to mop... lol
    u will know whn your kid is ready for a regular cup.
    try giving him small amounts to drink from a cup and whn he doesnt turn the cup completely upside dwn like a bottle, he /she can probably handle drinking form a cup on his own.
    it might take some getting used to, but try try again... he's gotta figure it out sooner or later :)

gud lukk with the mopping, lol
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009