Do people in the ER pull abcessed teeth?

my MIL is under the impression they do "every thing" and I've never wondered before...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, at most they will give you a pain med and an antibiotic. Generally, a super abcessed tooth is what they call a "hot tooth" and they cannot numb it. They can only pull it if they put you under general anesthesia. Only a dental surgeon is qualified to pull a tooth, especially wisdom teeth, because sometimes the roots are wrapped around the nerve. They have to take x-rays first also. Tooth pain is AWFUL . . . I hope whoever it is feels better quickly!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope. That's why they offer emergency dental offices in some areas.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no. They give you antibiotics and refer you to your dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope. A dentist won't even pull an abcessed tooth. Either will give antibiotics, clear up the infection, THEN a dentist will pull it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, an abcessed tooth is not an emergency. They might give you something for the pain, but I don't think they have an emergency dentist. Emergency is to contain the situation and save your life and then they leave the other non life threatening stuff to the experts.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009