• In the Spotlight:

Divorce- Do you believe in it?

I personally believe that there are cases where divorce is the reasonable answer. But I think too many people just jump at divorce as the first answer instead of making the effort to fix the marriage. Then again I have friends that say you don't get a divorce no matter what. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Too many people marry the wrong person for the wrong reason and half the time they know it's the wrong guy. Go with your gut! But I think divorce has to be as otherwise you're miserable and that translates into everything you do and worse, can really affect kids if parents hate eachother.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with you. I have no problem with divorce and would RATHER people get a divorce if they can't make their marriage work, instead of staying together uphappily. And yes I do think people throw divorce around to lightly. If there are problems in your marriage that you have honestly tried to fix and can't, then by all means please get a divorce so you can move on and be happy, but I don't agree with it for those who never even bothered to try and work things out in the first place.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It depends on the situation. If my husband didn't respect me by cheating, hitting, or something stupid like that..hell yeah- I'd divorce him. I didn't marry someone to cheat or beat me..or even lie to me constantly. I have respect for myself and I'll be damned if some man is gonna take that from me.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, i don't believe in divorce. I take marriage seriously unlike most people this day in age. To divorce is to break a promise, a sacred promise.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• in a situation where theres abuse be it verbal, physical or emotional, i would lean closer to divorce. If it was a situation where we just couldnt stop arguing or was having a bad time i would stick it out and work on it, only if he still loved me and I still loved him. Thers no need to stay in a marriage where one person can openly admit that they dont love you anymore and want out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• depeds on the circumstances some things i believe can be worked through and others not so much
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 12:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Whats to believe in? It happens, thats for sure. I think a lot of people just give up. And I think for a lot of people it just wasnt meant to be.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Personally for me, I believe in divorce only for adultery.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I believe in divorce if all other options have been expended. I have a friend who really needs a divorce. He husband is never home because he is out with other women and spending all the money. He doesnt come home to her and doesnt treat her like a wife. THey have also tried couples therapy with no results.

I also believe that alot of ppl jump into marriage without a clue how to make it work. Take for example, myself. I got married at 20 to a man I had only known for 2 1/2 months. We have been married for more than a year and have had many ups and downs. But the reason we got married, because we love eachother in an undying way, we make eachother laugh like no one else can, and we share some common interest have held. So when we fight, we never loose touch with the fact that we love eachother like no one else has ever felt before.
    In my life, I dont think divorce is an option, but it is for some ppl
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't believe in divorce. However if a man turned abusive like some do, I am OK with it. I am 35 and have never been marreid. I have been with SO for 9 years and we are just now talking about it. I just don't see me growing old with him. If I get sick, I don't see him taking care of me.

My parents were good role models for what I want in a marraige.
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009