Baby Bottle Tooth Decay

What do you know about Baby Bottle Tooth Decay? My son has it pretty bad ( we are scheduling a dentist appointment). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to help stop this? Or help repair his teeth?

NoahsMomma418

Asked by NoahsMomma418 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well if he's on the bottle still, weaning would be a first step! Other than that, brush his teeth after every meal and dont give him juice and sugary foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• can i ask how you got it? im just wondering because my son is 1 and my mother started sweetening his baby cereal with sugar since he wouldnt eat (without my permission) and he now wont eat cereal without it! so i started brushing the two teeth he has with a baby tooth brush and tap water but im still scared
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He's not on a bottle at all. He never liked them. WE rarely give him sugary foods/drink. He pretty much sticks to water or BM, and lots of fruits and veggies.
    I'm not sure how he got it, the only thing I can think of is that he LOVES strawberries and other fruits ( which we let him have as much as he wanted never thinking of the natural sugars).
    We brush his teeth a lot. I'm just really upset at myself .
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• thank you for your honesty :]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Some kids just have horrible teeth. It happens. For some it has nothing to do with a bottle, cup, or natural sugars (which is TOTALLY different than added sugar) Not being trained in the dental field, I would lean more towards the acid in some fruits rather than the natural sugar if it's anything like that.

The dentist will let you know for sure, but I've heard of kids having caps. Some just don't have enough or hard enough enamel to protect their teeth properly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Unfortunately, this is a prevention issue. This is why babies gums should be wiped with a soft cloth twice a day and when they have teeth they should be brushed twice a day. This is why you do not give a child a bottle in bed, unless it has water.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009