My son is in the biting stage and i dont like it how do i show him right from wrong hes 19 months??

Whenever my son gets mad he bites people and i dont like it but i dont no how to discipline him or if its just a stage..hes really mean to kids im guessin cuz hes at a daycare..HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is going to sound harsh but flick his mouth(like you would when you're flicking somethng away from you) and let him know thats not ok! That's what I had to do to get my twins to stop hitting and bitting eachother, and kids at day care!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son was into biting too for a while. We would put him in timeout for biting.... he eventually grew out of it. Thank goodness.... Goodluck sweety. just keep enforcing to him that its not ok. he will get it eventually.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 1:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• To show him it's wrong, simply deny him the one thing he wants more than anything else - your attention. Pick a time out spot and start using it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• This is really hard because it is a phase. At 19 mos, he's probably not talking yet, (hitting & biting are usually used when a child can't express or defend themselves any other way) and therefore needs to be taught how to deal with his feelings of frustration or even just being tired (and watched like a hawk, LOL!). I try to give our LO something that it's OK to bite, (teether/blanket, etc.) and told him over and over that biting hurts. Of course he didn't get it....until recently (now he's 2.) He hasn't bitten in a while I am happy to say. We did use time out, also for 1 minute (age 1). I know there are other things that toddlers do wrong repeatedly, but this gets the most attention because IT HURTS! Hang in there, this too will pass!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• At this age they can't control it. They react rather than act. Some recommend biting back, some time out, some ignorning, some spanking. I don't think much of that works well at this age. Try to catch him as he's biting and pull him away. I'ts kinda like dealing with a dog, if it's already been done, they don't necessarily make the connection between the punishment and the bad behavior.

He should outgrow it, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009