What can I do about blistering and chafing nipples?

Im due soon (in a week) and I plan to breast feed but i hear alot about blistering, cracked, and chafing nipples. What should I do if this happens to me and what can I do to help prevent it because I want my baby to be as healthy as possible and I know breastfeeding is the way to go but I dont want to hurt either!

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 1:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• lansinol breast creme.its safe for you and your baby.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• LANSINOH100% natural( safe to use while breast feeding, good preventitive too!), not watered down versions. If you can't find it or afford it try coacoa butter, or vaseline.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• LANSINOL!!! 100% natural , not watered down (safe enough to use while breast feeding!!!) If you can't find it or afford it use coacoa butter(100% if you can find it, use rest on your stretch marks! )or vasiline.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• SORRY!!! I thought it didn't post because when I scrolled the page up it wasn't there until I posted 2nd time!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• CHECK LATCH!!!!! That's usually the culprit! Get the number of a lactation consultant before you leave the hospital. Two if you can. Also, check into LLL in your area. They're a GREAT resource. If you have any questions, PM me; I'm a lactation specialist.
    Anytime you break suction, be sure to use your finger, as opposed to just pulling Baby off. Pulling off can cause permanent damage to your nipple. Be sure to let your nipples air dry after each feeding. If you keep them in a moist environment, they will get tender and sore, and are also prone to infection.
    Here's a fantastic website for you:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/index.html
    Get the nurses at the hospital to help you with nursing. They've done it a thousand times. You'll take something different from every one of them.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Remember that it will only hurt until your breasts get used to it and your baby learns the correct latch. For me that was about 4 weeks, It was nothing I couldn't handle, and I vowed never to use formula, it just wasn't an option for me so I was pretty determined.

I used lasinoh cream. Or however it's spelt. Also, fyi it's not really a cream as it is more like an ointment similar to vaseline but much thicker! Also, hot compressing your breasts with warm washcloths seemed to help me with engorgement.

Other than that nurse, nurse, nurse! It's the best way for you and your baby to get the right latch and what not down. Hope this helps :)

MasonsMommy1707

Answer by MasonsMommy1707 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Also the cream contents is lanolin and the brand is Lansinoh.
    MasonsMommy1707

Answer by MasonsMommy1707 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I wont be able to afford the special stuff so ill probably end up using vasaline...how much should I use?
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Vaseline is not safe for consumption! Spend the few dollars on the Lansinoh if you need it. However, if you rub a little of your breast milk onto your nipple, that will help with some of the discomfort too, not sure why, but it helped me...
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 5:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009