This is some thing I read today about Abraham Lincoln to help correct whatever opinions have formed?yest.

When he leftthe day b4 his 52 Birthday to the people who had come to see him of"'Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistanceI cannot fail Trusting in Him who can go w ith me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an afectionate farewell". I take this as he is a definate believer!

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 1:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• to the people who had come to see him off with the threat of civil war looming, he said goodbye to the friend and neighbors-above
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• honestly even if he DID try to make a new bible taking out miracles i would not have thought less of him. i know he was a very interesting character, maybe a little screwy but i love what he did for this country, even if he did 'hate them niggers' :] (if you dont believe me http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/Abraham.Lincoln.Quote.C318)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Good ole Abe, and the other founding fathers for that matter, were deists, not Christian. From wiki;

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe which that Architect does not alter either by intervening in the affairs of human life or suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I take it as him being a very good politician who once again was talking out of both sides of his mouth. This in no way demonstrates that he was a Christian.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't believe President Lincoln was a Christian. I can agree with that quote you gave and I am not :). He definitely believed in a deity but besides that, I think his beliefs are hard to read and I really like that about him. I am sure one reason he kept his beliefs so unknown was that he was NOT Christian and needed this not to be known.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds to me like he read his Proverbs3:6
    The man is passed now why can't we not try to disect his personal beliefs and instead be grateful slavery is abolished thanks to God working in Abes life. Which he fully acknowledges!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Salvation is bases only on believing in Jesus death on the cross for payment fully for all sins! I still believe he was saved!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Thomas Jefferson cut the supernatural events from the Bible, leaving the teachings.

Lincoln's friend, bodyguard, and biographer after his death said he did not know what Lincoln's actual beliefs were; it has been a subject of much debate that can't be solved by one quote made to the public. He was not a member of any church, but did quote the Bible and reference God in his speeches. He admired the work of Thomas Paine, causing some to suppose he was a Deist like Paine... while this is extremely likely, it is arguably an unfounded assumption. It is certainly my personal belief, especially given how tight-lipped he was regarding his specific, personal beliefs - something he has in common with Deists before him.

And yes - he had a very "white man in the 19th century" view of race.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009