When did you test your children for learning disabilities?

My husband and I are noticing certian things about our son that have us thinking that we may have to get him tested for learning disablities and even color blindness. My husband has learning disablities and it also runs in my family. What was the general age that you had your children tested?

Holly126

Asked by Holly126 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter started speach therapy at 18 months( she started talking at 11 months and suddenly stopped at 12.5 months), now both she and her twin brother are delayed in speach( she's better but still behind, whereas he has a lazy tongue, I was open and honest about my concerns at their 2yr chk up). I think its never too early!!! I don't believe in it being too late either(unless if caught sooner....). My mom is color blind and it was hell growing up with her because I forgot about her imperfection( if you will) and always treated her as though she were no different; well 1 nite we got into it because there was a bad storm comming and she couldn't see if our county was going to be hit due to the colors they used, and I couldn't understand how she couldn't see it(alcohol played a factor as well). Continue being an awesome mom!!! Speak to his ped asap, and express your concerns, he or she will point you in the right direction!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• wow I have crappy insurance and health care so I didn't get the okay to test my son until he was 3. He wasn't talking at all and my doctor said it was cause he had older siblings and they spoke for him. IF you think something is not right follow through on it. Do not take one doctors opinions that all is fine. The soon you find out and get correct services to help the better.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The earlier the better!

Starting with Early Intervention (birth to three years) and then the CPSE (committee on preschool special education ages 3-5) and then the CSE (commitee on special education for the school age years).

You don't have to go through the insurance company. You go through the school district. Call them, explain your concerns and they will send you in the right direction.

While they do bill your insurance company, they accept what the insurance company pays as full payment. They never will bill YOU.

Call. The earlier the better.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Contact your public school system. When my daughter was 2 1/2 to 3 yrs, I KNEW something was wrong. We had already had intervention for massive fluid on her ears (she was deaf for nearly a year) and she had one eye that crossed. Our school system (Oklahoma) has a program called Sooner Start, and they sent trained qualified people to my home to observe and test (testing with building block games, etc) my daughter. Based on the assessment by this program, my child started pre-K at 3 yrs old and is now about to graduate high school (from the Special Needs program). Although there have been some frustrations with the school system and the Special Needs program throughout the years, I am totally in favor it. I feel that with the early intervention, my daughter was able to learn and retain what she learned better than if we had waited until she was actually "school age".
    InsaneReality

Answer by InsaneReality at 2:26 AM on May. 1, 2009