thumb suckers/binky suckers

i had a bad childhood and sucked my thumb until i got braces at THIRTEEN! yes, thirteen! honestly i thought my little overbite gave me a prettier face than my 'braces fixed face' (because my overbite pushed my upper lip forward) anyway i read an article today on babycenter.com about how extended binky's only really are a big deal by adults! so i can give myself sanity until my son is old enough to stop taking a dumb paci, because he doesnt suck his thumb? he wont do it until hes 13 i can guarantee that! he wont do it past 5 with the way mean kids are in kinder garden! what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I turned 32 in feb and still suck my thumb. a habit is a habit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I stopped them(all 4) as soon as they turned 1. For many reasons: 1, Its not healthy for the teeth beyond 18 months, 2, I didn't wat them dependent on it for comfort til God knows when, 3, after 3rd one was lost that was it, 4, it was time!!! BUT mainly to promote healthy gums, hence healthy teeth.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yes i know! but really, i sucked my THUMB until i was 13! and a thumb is harder than a binky! and my parents tried everything, gross tasting things and hot peppers! but my mom would beat the shit out of me to the point where when i was 5 my father read a journal entry from me that said 'today was a good day because my mom didnt hit me' and if ME and MY teeth could turn out okay, maybe my son and his teeth will, because i dont hit him at all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• oh hellllllllll no, i took my daughters suckie away 9 months..there is noooooooooo way i would let any child of mine have it past 1 year!! and your saying 5??????!!!!!!!! that is something that is completely up to you, obviously, but i do think you are MAJORLY gonna regret that decision once the kid gets older!! to me, pacifiers are just a quick fix to shut your child up!! instead of when the child is crying stickin a soother in its mouth, how about try cuddling your child!! or feeding etc..and i dont see what you not hitting your kid has to do with your teeth turning out ok..im sorry you went thru that..but..has nothing to do with it.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's not just the teeth which are affected by pacifier use. It also can affect speech and oral motor development.

It's way past the time when the pacifier is needed for the sucking reflex and has become a habit.

I would recommend finding better resources on the matter than babycenter.com. Try a medical site or a dental site...a speech therapist site would be good, too...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and still sucks her thumb, we ask her to stop but figure it'll just stop when she's ready to stop. I'm not worried about it.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I sucked my thumb until I was 19. When I moved in with my boyfriend, I was too embarrassed so I made myself stop. Every once in awhile I will suck my thumb but not often, I'm 27 years old now. My sister is going to be 22 soon and she still sucks her thumb. I say break the habit now it's going to get harder later on!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm going to stop giving my daughter her pacifier by the time she's at least 11 months old. I don't want to have a 3 year old walking around with her pacifier in her mouth. It just doesn't look right.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009