FAKE CASHIERS CHECK?!

We recently posted an ad on Craigslist.com and got a reply saying she would send a cashiers check in the mail and that she was from Arkansas. (We live in Oklahoma) I just read some can be fake and the bank will let you cash it and they later find out it was a fake you will be fined or something? Anyone ever receive one of these? We are sending out the product after the check is cashed but if its fake how will I know until its to late? As far as I know she hasn't sent out the check it. Someone is coming to pick it up for her? She would reply and say only cash?! We have her e-mail and phone number. I called the number private and it sounded like a business phone and she said it was a mobile? We gave her our home address and my husbands name. She also has my cell phone number. I just don't want to get scammed!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have her deposit the money directly into your account
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• PayPal is a safe method for recieving a payment---otherwise CASH ONLY!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would see if there is any way that your bank can call the bank that issued the cashier's check and verify it's validity. Otherwise, you (I think) say someone is picking the item up; I'd tell her to have them bring the cash. Or paypal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It has happened to me before...the bank will catch it if it is fake....You should just wait it out 3-4 business days to make sure the check clears before sending out the package....I don't think they fine you...you would just owe the bank that money back if you spent it or whatever.....
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 8:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds too fishy to me. Just have her wire the funds or pay with Paypal, otherwise I would back out of the transaction.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would be very skeptical if I were you. Craigslist worries me. And I know my ex husband listed a truck of ours once and someone overseas wanted to buy it...lol obviously a scam. Think about it. You offered something for sale on craigslist for your state and city and someone else from another state is contacting you about purchasing it? If this person was serious about buying what you offered they would be searching the craigslist in their area. I post ads about our business occassionally on craigslist but I would never list anything for sale one on one there...too many scammers and attackers
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009