• In the Spotlight:

when my son is 4 months I can give cereal and juice but how does that work out when u are breastfeeding and how do u set up a schedule for it??

christinaluv

Asked by christinaluv at 2:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't HAVE to give him cereal, but you can. Actually the longer you wait, especially since you are BFing, is better.

He is ready when he can swallow affectively on his own, can sit in a high chair without falling over/slipping down and shows an interest. You mix a little bit of expressed breastmilk with a little of the flaked/dried baby cereal and feed it to him with a spoon. No schedule required. Babies don't NEED anything but Breastmilk for the first year of life. The rest is just for fun and texture and for them to get used to eating.

I would give him a couple bites everytime you guys sit down to eat, otherwise there doesn't need to be any schedule.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 2:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• 1 of 2 ways: 1, when baby mimics you eating, 2: when breast milk is no longer enough. How you set up the schedule is up to you. You could start with baby food and juice for lunch. If it goes well at lunch time I'd say for a week(also start with 1x a day to learn what causes a rash(allergic reaction) because it will help keep straight what the baby ate and drank that was new). I would start with rice cereal and add apple juice to it until thick like oatmeal. NO DAIRY, EGG, NUTS, OR HONEY UNTIL AFTER 1 YEARS OLD!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's best to wait until 6 months, or at least until your baby has outgrown the tongue thrust reflex. Your baby doesn't need juice, in fact, it leads to dental problems! If you Do decide to give the baby juice, water it down, 2 parts water to 1 part juice. Babies shouldn't have water until they are 6 months, either. Here's a great link for you from a trustworthy website:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    I can understand your excitement about starting solids, but consider delaying just a little longer.
    We didn't really start our son on a "schedule" with solids until about 8 months, and now, it's generally nursing on demand, and solids at about 8AM, 12PM, and 5PM, depending on when he's last nursed. Wait at least 30 minutes after nursing to feed solids.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Another great resource for feeding babies and toddlers is Super Baby Food by ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your library: www.superbabyfood.com.
    Humans don't need juice. Water in a sippy cup is best and a great habit. Remember to avoid the allergy trigger foods the first year this is not a complete list, but includes soy, egg white, wheat, citrus, dairy, strawberries, nuts.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Babies don't NEED anything except breastmilk until they are about 12 months old. The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding until ATLEAST 6 months old and then the food is only for practice and you should nurse first then give the food. My children did not want anything to do with solids until they were about 9 months old. As for juice I did not give that until they were 12 months old and only gave small amounts watered down drastically. At about 6 months I gave them a sippy with water or pumped milk while we ate meals though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would wait until 6 months. There really isn't a need for the cereal, its just to get a feel for the texture and learn how to swallow a solid. I would hold off on giving juice until atleast a year. You're baby does not need juice. Mommy's milk and water are best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You don't have to give it, in fact, current recommendations suggest waiting until at least 6 mos before giving anything other then breast milk or formula. If you're set on doing it, mix the cereal with breastmilk to desired consistency. Offer a spoonful AFTER nursing. I'd advise against juice, because of the unnecessary sugar. Water in a sippy with solid meals. ALWAYS after nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with what others have said.

My son showed a little interest in food around 6 months and had quite a bit for a little while then only had a bite once i na while. He was pretty much exclusively breastfed until a year old and continued to be mainly breastfed until today at 17 months. He is on two meals now but I am going with his flow.

It is totally natural for a child to be breastfed well into the second year exclusively.

I wouldnt worry too much about a schedule but just go with the flow.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Breastfeeding is all you need for at least 6 months, even longer. In fact, you don't even have to start with rice cereal, which is mostly just empty calories. Wait as long as you can, your milk is more than enough.

I didn't give juice before a year. It's not needed. If you want to start a sippy cup, just express some milk and put it in there once baby is ready.

:)
    TinkBum

Answer by TinkBum at 8:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with waiting until 6 months. I know this is hard in my family because my son watches you eat and when we are at my parents' house they say "he is starving". He is almost 8 months and I don't have a schedule yet for baby food. I give it to him a couple times a week just for texture sake. He is just now getting his very first tooth. I am still most EBF and like I said only giving solids a few times a week. Cereal can cause juvenile diabetes so I do not give my baby cereal.
    To answer your really don't need a schedule. Just always breastfeed your baby before you give any solids. Breastmilk is enough nutrition for your baby in the first year and should be the main source of nutrition at that time.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009