Teen mommies

No bashing, no drama, just a good clean debate haha!

I believe that when any mommy bashes a young mother for any reason from being stupid to being ignorant for getting pregnant early, you are ruining the future for both yourself and our children. When you put down young mom under the age of 22 you are breaking their self worthiness, their pride, their hope. When you brake these things down you then have bitter, b!tchy, angry, resentful, unguided mommies who begin to lash out. They do not know any better because people are too busy bashing them. They spread it to their child and thier child spread it to the next generation. Does this make sense? Can we maybe not bash a young mommy anymore and think twice EVEN if she did make a stupid choice. Mistakes are made. Sins are made. Nobody is perfect. So let's help one another, especially OUR FUTURE.

Your opinions please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I tend to agree with you. I feel that when society bashes a young mother we are causing a blow to self esteem and lets face it most women have a low self image anyway. I do not bash them because I am one. I started my family at 17. No mistakes no wrong choices but blessings. All 5 of my children are blessings. Obviously this is my opinion and it took a long time to see past all the hatred from people towards me for my blessing. We should be spreading help and hope not hate. Great post in my opinion.
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 4:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I was a teen mother and I think it would have been nice to have some support. Especially emotionally. I agree with you on your post. Pregnancy already throws you through some loops, it doesn't help when you are hated by the rest of society and possibly your family.
    On the other hand, it has taught me to do a better job of educating my children than my mother did with me. I don't want my future daughter(s) to go through what I went through, so I'll do my best to teach her to wait until she's emotionally and financially more stable.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 4:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry but you can't blame all of the problems a young mother has on other people judging them. I think that if these young moms made a mistake and they are working hard to do right by their babies then of course we should be supportive and they are doing the right thing, BUT you can't blame those who judge them for their problems. For one, these moms have to grow up FAST and part of growing up is taking responsibility for your life. That means not finding someone new to blame your problems on. It's hard, but they really need to learn how to turn their backs on these judgements and not let it turn them into what you describe. Also, the teen moms have parents, partners, and other people in their lives that should have a stronger affect on them than what some stranger things.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• What some stranger THINKS ... sorry I hit the submit button too quickly.
    beckcorc

• I don't believe we should "bash" young mothers (and I frankly don't know anyone who does...where the hell do all you people live where everyone goes around "bashing" everyone else?) I believe that their families should offer them support and encouragement. However, I do firmly believe that as a society, we have got to stop normalizing young unwed women having babies! It's the leading cause of poverty in our country and is not good for society as a whole. I'm not saying we should shame or isolate these girls, but for pete's sake, let's stop glorifying it. It's NOT okay, not for the girl, her baby, or our country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't care how old they are. I was a young mom. I haven't any respect for those who are irresponsible, those who feel entitled, and those who refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions.

myame

Answer by myame at 8:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• This is not the exact generational pattern that it takes. The original insecurity and "finding love in all the wrong places" due to lack of nurturing by parents is the ORGINAL issue. Thats what they pass on to their kids. Granted, having society put them down doesnt help, of course, but the only way they even allow it to affect them, is because their insecure in themeselves to begin with. Other people just don't have the power to MAKE you feel anything about yourself unless the insecurity is already there. I think that teen moms and very young mothers sometimes take realism and contructive criticism as bashing and its not always the same thing. I was an 18 yr old mother, so I know what its like...Ive been there and I personally dont feel I have ever "bashed" a teen mom, but I will tell her what reality is like. I don't think they have a clue as to what they are in for. This is about your children, not about your feelings.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think that it is hilarious when ppl judge young mothers, especially when the person judging is a single mother whose child failed the ninth grade three times and whose spouse is in prison and that is why she is a single mother but she still believes that she is better b/c she had her child at 25 and the person that she is judging had her child at 18. The bottom line is that we are all mothers regardless of when and how our children came to be and this is a site for mothers to be supported, regardless of age, race, sexuality, etc but I believe that we often forget that as mothers and women we should support rather than bash one another, JMO.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think so many young moms get bashed because they aren't mature enough to be moms.. For instance.. a girl I knew in high school had her child at 33 weeks when she was 16.. He was transported to another hopsital and once she got out of the hospital. She was partying untl her child got out of the NICU. Another friend of mine who had her baby at 17, took her child to parties with her and kept her out almost all night. There are alot of young moms who never wnat to give up that partying side and either leave their kids with people all the time, or take them out with them. I personally am not bashing anyone, because I know several women over 30 who are horrible moms.. I just think that young moms get bashed for the fact that they still want a life, and want to still be a teenager and have a hard time finding a middle ground
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't bash any mother and I also want to say no one can't break you down unless YOU let them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009