Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ATTN Military wives help please

My friend is marrying her navy fiance. He is stationed in WA, but she will continue to live in Louisiana until she finishes college in May 2010. They were planning to wait until August 2010, but his CO said they could get cola if they went ahead and signed the papers now and just had the ceremony whenever. She is wondering how they will do there taxes (next year)assuming they are filing jointly, because they will be in separate states. Are military wives automatically allowed to sign legal docs for spouses or what? Any help or advice would be great. Also is anyone else familiar with this arrangement?

Answer Question

Asked by mrssullivan at 5:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 5 (98 Credits)
Answers (1)
  • For a military spouse to do anything on the absent spouse's behalf she must have a legal document called a Power of Attorney (POA). Her husband can get it at Navy legal - he can ask his CO if he doesn't know where to go. It is standard so they may even suggest it to him once they learn they are apart. Tell her that as soon as they are married he goes and obtains one while right away while they are apart. They are only good for a year, though, so it will have to be renewed.
    I'm not familiar with the arrangement you are speaking of, but I'm sure other wives may be. Perhaps your friend can join one of the military or Navy wives groups here on CM? They are very supportive and helpful.
    Best wishes to your friend and her new husband!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.