HOW do you get back into the working world after 12 years of being a stay home mom?

Abigale888

Asked by Abigale888 at 6:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's difficult these days. Especially now that everyone is applying for the minimum wage part time jobs because they neee something. And now with high school and college students about to be hitting the streets looking for Summer jobs it's going to be even worse.

A little over a year ago my eBay store wasn't doing well, I was in the process of getting divorced and needed something steady. I also do not drive so I applied at about 40 stores at local plazas and malls that I could easily reach with the bus. I got two interviews and NO job offer. Now I had experience of being a cashier and a manager for 10 years, and these were cashier or just sales associate jobs I was looking for.

At the time I had to go back to the place I didn't want to, Wegmans, a local grocery chain. Five years ago I left Wegmans because of back problems, I only lasted there 6 months this time before being put on short term disability AGAIN.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I've also tried so many direct selling companies without much success. It's hard to sell products from a company that so many others are selling. My fiance and I wanted more. In December we started our Carpet Cleaning Business. We don't use steam cleaners but a new low-moisture system. Carpets are dry in an hour or less and our machine simply does a better job! My fiance typicaly earns $100 an hour doing these jobs, which is incredible. Now that the busy season for carpet cleaning is here we are doing anywhere from $1,000-$2,000 a week profit.

Together as a couple we also joined Ambit Energy as consultants. We don't try to sell a product, instead we help local residents save money on their current electric bill. Nothing changes for the customer and we love this as well. It's more my project than his, but I'm already seeing about $2,000 a month.

www.WNY.AmbitEnergy.biz
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's going to be tough, especially with the economy. The best advice I can give you is to check the classifieds every day, make sure your resume is in great shape, and just be persistant. I got laid off at the end of last May, and am just starting a new job on Friday. I've been out of work this whole time. It may take you quite some time to find something, and even then, that something might not be ideal; you probably will lower your standards a bit. My new job is at a considerable paycut, but I need some kind of income, so I'm making it work. You may have to lower what pay you'll accept, or be willing to work different hours than you want, or further from home than you'd really like to drive. Be open to new things, and remember to always say you're willing to learn whatever you don't know. I wish you the best of luck.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Have you thought about working at your local school? Maybe where your children go? That's what I'm going to do when our youngest starts in the fall. I plan to just volunteer at first and then maybe move into a position if one comes open.. Goodluck (I'm a Sahm too, for the past 13 yrs)
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Hello! I do career coaching in Chicago, and I am always happy to help CafeMoms with their resumes, cover letters and job search strategy. Please feel free to contact me directly.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You can.
    If you have always wanted a company that supports and helps you grow your business then I suggest you look into Gold Canyon.

Gold Canyon offers a complete line of candles, body and home products including home fragrance in the form of scented candles, Room Sprays and Sachets, eco-friendly, natural, green cleaning products, home décor with various candle holders; personal care with hand scrub, hand silk, body lather, body lotion, body polish, body crème, bath soak, body mist and candle care products such as wick dippers and trimmers.
    I can mail you out some information along with a tealight sample.

Blessings,
    Marianne
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009