• In the Spotlight:

Olympia Snowe of Maine feels the Republican party needs to move back to the center. The very far right has highjacked the party. I agree with her, how about you?

Said Snowe: "Ultimately, we're heading to having the smallest political tent in history, the way events have been unfolding. If the Republican Party fully intends to become a majority party in the future, it must move from the far right back toward the middle."

http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=2102157

“You haven't certainly heard warm encouraging words about how [the GOP] views moderates,” said Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe, one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in the Senate.

Snowe said the party's message has been, “Either you're with us or you’re against us.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21802.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If the Republican party keeps putting lunies like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter on the front lines and acting like they speak for their party then they are going to become more and more obsolete. They are casting a very narrow net and alienating a lot of people. They need a REAL party head not a commentator or an impotent RNC chair. Somewhere, somehow a true conservative voice needs to come up. I may be a liberal, but I support a two party system. They need real leadership if they are going to rebound in 2012.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If the Repub's don't do this they will not be elected again IMO.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I disagree with her---I think the Republican party has grown ever less conservative, and that our society has grown ever more liberal, only making it seem like Repubs are to the right. Everyone--including the Republican party--has shifted left. If the entire country doesn't start moving back toward the middle, we will ultimately be destroyed. We will not thrive as a leftie socialist nation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• anonymous 7:23 I think you are correct so far as society has become more liberal, but if the republican party doesnt change with the times, it has no future.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• anonymous 7:23 I think you are correct so far as society has become more liberal, but if the republican party doesnt change with the times, it has no future

Aren't you a Lib?

What do you care?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

Good answer!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Grace, I vote on the issues..... I happen to like Olympia Snowe very much. I think had McCain picked her to run with him, he might have had a better chance.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I've never had to pick and choose because the Republicans party has always had a good platform.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• if the republican party has such a good platform, why is it now the minority?
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Grandmarga I agree about McCain. I think his choosing Sara Palin hurt him more than anything in the election. If he had shown better judgement in choosing his running mate he would have been a much stronger opponent. I'll never understand that choice, he had so many better options.

I am not totally sure how you are defining socialism here or what your problem is with it. If socialism is funding schools, providing health care to children, and providing programs to help educate the poor so that they can get jobs that will pay their bills, then what is so wrong with that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2009