Could my 3 year old be depressed?

I have a 3 yr old daughter, that recently started acting out of sorts, not wanting to go to her toddler class, 2 and 1/2 days a week, fighting with just about everyone in our house, she seems sad and angry to me. I try not to holler at her when she gets into trouble but it seems like she's doing things to get a rise out of me. She's a rough and tough little girl, but she don't seem herself these days. We have a 5 month old baby, and I try to let her help where she can, so she don't feel jealous toward the baby. I don't know if she's trying to find her place in our big family, we got 8 yr Boy, 6 yr Girl, 5 yr Boy, Her, then the baby, and me and hubby. I don't know if she's lost in our family dynamics or what, but it makes me sad to see her so lost around us. I want to help pull her out of her little slump but I don't know what to do.

mackk

Asked by mackk at 8:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its probably a phase she is in right now. She may be upset at someone in her school and just doesn't know what or how to tell you. Maybe take her out alone and spend the day with her and leave your hubby with the other kids. She may just need a little extra one on one with the new baby and all her other brothers and sisters. At her age it could be anything but depression would be kind of hard to diagnose as she really can't describe all her feelings.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am going through it too, have been for 2yrs now!!! Mine are 8,she's 5, and my boy/girl twins will be 3. I remember when, she dumped out entire can of powdered formula on the floor and played in it, 2nd time she dumped it on my bed!!! Now that the twins are older and impressionable she's teaching them how to be like her! She taught them how to climb, how to sneakily do stuff(get into mommies things without a sound made)!!! She has completely destroyed her and the twins(they share) room!!! She's been climbing on the dresser, broken 1 out of 2 dressers! I want to kill her sometimes and remind myself that she IS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE AND FEELS OUT OF PLACE!!!
    I do give her 1 on1 time but she still thinks I don't love her! I DID GET HER THERAPY AND BECAUSE SHE HAS NO PROBS AT SCHOOL THAT ITS NOT BEHAVIORAL ISSUES!!! Its a phase I'm sure but how long it lasts depends on how soon you can nip it in the bud!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009