Do you feel that you have to spread the message?

Does your religion prompt you to promote it for any reason and why? Do you actively look for people to tell them about it or tell them only when the subject comes up in a conversation?
I am curious about all religions, not just the most dominant ones. Thank you. No ugly comments please. Just straightforward information is appreciated.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 8:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My church is full of very private people. They will tell you what they believe if you ask them, as will I, but we don't like to push our beliefs on others. I guess we kind of think that God speaks to people and they will seek him out when they are ready.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As Pagan-Witch ... NO I/We do not try to convert others that is NOT my/our way.
    If I/We are asked a question then we answer those questions to the best of our
    ability to do so.
    I/We do not just go up to a person and say "Hey guess what? Your religion or beliefs/lack of is wrong, come follow me I'm a Witch"  THAT just DOESN'T happen.....

Would be funny watching the looks on others face if that was said to them thou...LOL...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I grew up Jehovah's witness. They offer materials to aid in getting to know God and Jesus. I get how some feel they are pushy; but they serve a purpose(to live by Gods law and spread his word until the time of the end)!!! Let me put it this way: IF you had a way to save someone's life would you make it known or keep it to yourself!? Well that's ALL JW's want to do: spread vital info about how you can live forever in paradise here in earth. Some are OVER eager to share this so it comes accross wrong! Honestly they should not force ANYTHING on anyone and are wrong if they do!!! Seriously though; they send literture all over the world in over 200 languages from NY city; if we were a cult do you honestly think 3rd world countries would accept so openly(NOT ALL DO, I'm reffering to the one's that did)!? Jehovah wants to save us from eternal death, so he had Jesus born to Mary to die for our sins! We learned about Him through Jesus!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well, first, it's not about religion,it's about a relationship I have with Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. And, second, it really doesn't need me to "promote" it,as you put it, but yes, Jesus did tell us we are to take the good news to a lost and hurting world. And, as a lost and hurting person who found that good news,and has had my life transformed because of it, I'm more than happy to spread that.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My Religion does expect me to tell people the truth about GOD as he revealed it in his last revelation. I am not to argue with anyone about it. I'm not to mock their religion. I do not actively seek people out to tell them about it. If it comes up , i speak. I've learned that speaking is not all there is to showing someone the way... rather you show the way by example. obeying, keeping from sin as much as possible and living life in the best possible way according to the commandments. If people ask i tell. I people ask round about questions, i might interject my faith to explain to them the differences, the similarities and just who God is and what our role is as Revealed by HIm. One of the things that i find interesting is that in islam there is proof for everything in other religions, i find that many just make it up or interpret . Islam is clear and detailed for those who want to understand and submit. It's good to ask
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We, as Christians, are taught to spread the love of Jesus to others. Some choose to try to force down other's throats. Others choose to be more docile about it and allow folks to come to them with questions.

I feel that I do okay with that aspect. There is not a person around me that can't tell you what my faith is (even on here). I don't push it on others, but if someone has a question about my faith, I will answer with the love and passion for Christ that is in me. I try to spread His love through my deeds and allow Him to shine through me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As a non denominational christian, I feel that I am to spread Christs love by my own life. I am to make it work in me before I go "preaching" to anyone else. If it comes up in conversation, I always use it as an opportunity to share what Gods done for me. People want to hear true stories about you and what God did for you. People arent fooled. They will have to see something in you FIRST that makes them say...hey, whats she got that makes life so good? or whats different about her? Then they ask questions. If I can't make it work in my own home, what makes me think that anyone else is going to want it? In the church, I usually just make sure people feel welcome, accepted and loved, regardless of where theyve been or whats going on in their life. I think they expect judgment, but when we just say..hey, youre welcome here. It surprises them. They will come and ask more questions on their own time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I reverted to islam because i started to ask questions, to look around, to reflect and to submit. I believe it to be true by the evidences in it. i k now many don't, however each person is responsible for thier own guidance. Allah says that if you try to change your own condition, he will change it for you and lead you to the straight path that leads to him and paradise. I reverted in 2006 and i am completely happy with it because islam provides the perspective to every situation and how to live life according to the Creator who created you and who sustains you and provides for you and it teaches not to worship or ask of anyone other then the Creator. that worship is solely for God and that you should try to be a good person according to what he has prescribed as good.That is islam in it's entirety. it's about rights and obligations. and everyone and everything has them.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• momofsee:

You hit it all right there. There's nothing more to add. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I totally agree with momofsee. I also know that the Lord will give you people to witness to when those people are ready. If you are witnessing to someone just b/c you think it is right and not for the right reasons then they aren't going to hear a word you are saying. Yes they might be listening but they aren't going to hear you. Sometime there will be where you do need to witness and spread God's word but other times you just need to sit back and let God work in your own life and make things better in your life. I don't care how much of a Christian you are or how long you have been doing it or if you are a preacher or whatever - everyone is going to make mistakes and needs to fix theirselves before all they worry about is trying to fix others.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 10:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009