• In the Spotlight:

what do you do with your child......?

I'm a mom of an only child. My husband and I both work Mon-Fri 8-5pm.
Next fall my daughter will be starting grade one and I'm already in a panic about where she is going to go after school...and then during spring and summer breaks.
Neither one of us has family around. Not sure what I'm going to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• call your school and ask about after school programs. Here, kids can stay at school until 5:30 or 6:00 (I can't remember since I've not used the program) The kids hang out in the gym and do games and stuff. It is our local YMCA that runs our after school program. Often times, a nearby day-care center also will offer an after school program. Two of our local day care centers send a little bus to the school to pick up kids for the after school programs.

Start with asking your school and neighbors... surely someone can point you in the right direction to find a suitable solution.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Like the above person said-- after school programs like the YMCA and daycare centers will take kids... they will bus your child to the location & you will pick your child up from there..
    The YMCA is a great place to look into. A membership can be based on your income (me, dh, dd it cost $30 a month!)
    Just ask the school & they will be able to give you the best options.
    Good Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My mom and I did home day care for years. Her house was right on the bus line, and they dropped the kids off in her driveway. We had many grade school children because of this, and they all went to the same school. They got off the bus, we had them do their homework right when they got there, so that way the evenings could be spent hanging out with their parents, instead of doing home work. We also took them the days that they were off, and summer. Daycare's aren't just for infants. Ask her school. My mom's name was on a list of providers in the office.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• In our area, the school system offers a before and after school care program right on each campus, where the kids can go. Here, it's from 6:30am til school starts and then from school ends to 6:00pm. It costs, but it's not bad. Also, depending on the area (in ours, it's not an option, too far out), some daycares will provide transportation to and/or from school. I would call the school she will be attending, and explain your situation and ask them for recommendations. I am sure they can tell you if they offer anything and/or which daycares, if any, pick up/drop off at the school. Also, if there are school age kids in your neighborhood, maybe introduce yourself to the parents and see if they can give you any suggestions.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009