How much should he sleep?

My son is almost 18 months old. He wakes up around 6:30 am (I wake him to go to babysitter's because I work.), goes back to sleep at 830 am sleeps till around 1130am. then is awake till between 3 and 6 and then takes around an hour nap. then later on around 730 he wants to take another. then he sleeps til around 9 then is awake till 11. Im worried that he is sleeping too much.

Joshiesxmama

Asked by Joshiesxmama at 8:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• after re-reading your post, it looks like he is getting a little more than my original 10-11 estimate. But even at 13  hours (or so) it is still in the normal range of sleep needed at that age. Your sons sleep schedule is just all over in smaller segments. I would still try to get him to sleep more at night and less during the evening.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• so.... he gets 6-1/2 hours at night, 3 hours in the morning, and another hour in the evening. That is approx 10-11 hours per day.

He probably takes the long nap in the morning because he isn't getting enough sleep at night. If it were me, I would try to keep him awake during the eveing and putting him in the bed earlier. That extra nap is giving him the energy to make it till 11 pm.

My 3 year old sleeps 10 hours at night, and I don't let him sleep more than one hour during the day, if he takes a nap at all (he's almost four now). At two years old though, I think he was sleeping 10-11 hours at night and 1-2 hours during the day. I've always tried to keep my kids from napping after 4-5 PM, even if they were really sleepy because it cuts back on the night time sleep hours.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 18 month old is lucky to get one nap during the day (cause I try to keep him busy) We get up at 8:30, eat breakfast, watch a little tv, do chores, etc, then eat lunch, then go to the park, he might take a 1 hour nap after we get back from the park, I don't let him get more than a 1 hour nap, and sometimes he doesn't take it. He goes to bed at 9pm, no matter what. Most of the time he sleeps through the night, sometimes he'll wake up for a bottle if he didn't get enough to eat at dinner time.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would try to get him on a little bit better sleep schedule. The sooner you get him into good sleep habits the better. My niece is 7 and has the worst sleep habits, but it isn't her fault, my mom is raising her and from birth on, she has let her sleep whenever she wanted. She would let her nap at 6 in the evening till like 8pm and then she'd be up till the wee hours and then she'd want to sleep late the next day. It's a vicious cycle, and if you don't make it better now it will be harder later. Good luck
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The amount of total time seems normal or fine but it sounds like he needs to get on a sleeping schedule. thats a ton of broken sleep the way it sounds.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That's about 12 hours a day. At 18 months, kids need between 12 and 15 hours a day. So he may be getting enough or he may actually be chronically overtired. But having it all broken up like that, at his age, does mean it's not good, sound sleep. He should be taking one afternoon nap and one long sleep at night.
    http://www.familysleep.com/15-months-to-3-and-a-half-years.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I asked my doctor this same question because my son DOESNT sleep very much! I was told that a toddler should sleep 12 hours!!!!! Mine sleeps maybe 9 if Im lucky!!!! I cannot get him to sleep any longer no matter what!!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009