What do you know about other faiths?

Many of us are very confident in our religious beliefs, but what have you learned about other faiths. Can you understand others religions without compromising our own faith? What do you know about Sikhs, pagans, Buddhist, etc?

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am constantly studying other religions. I am a Universalist, and believe in religious equality/plurality, while rejecting religious exclusivity.
    So I love to learn about other religions, which are, I believe, merely other ways people have interpreted God, and even pull from them.
    I know there's always a lot more I could learn, and I plan to, but I have learned quite a bit already, and it only deepens my convictions and beliefs.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I know as much about paganism as I do Christianity, because I was one at one time. I know a little about Hindu and Buddhism, through my pagan studies. I know a little about Islam and Judaism as well, but not much. I would love to know more about each of these religions, as ignorance is what leads to fear and prejudice.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am eclectic pagan. I was raised in a very Christian family (half JW, half Catholic) So I know quite a bit there. I an in the process of learning about Wicca and Islam. I have also done some (very little) reading on the Gnostic faith and some on Voodoo, Santeria, and a few others. I have dated quite a few Satanists and read the Satanic Bible (Levey) so I know a bit there too. I would like to say I know everything about them all, but that's quite a few years off, in fact I don't think I will ever know it all. But I would like to try. So, I will keep on studing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am with Sabrina..I am trying to learn about all of them. So, I can choose the proper path for myself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i know that other religions are made up of polythiests, and if they are monotheists they usually ascribe partners to the creator . ie, mary, goddesses, gods, trees, people. For myself, i was christian, now im muslim and well.. i don't have any need to learn any more about anything esle and that is because without a shadow of a doubt i know that what Allah revealed in the Quran is the true and straightest way to Paradise. The torah was revealed , and so was the bible but those books have been abrogated by the Quran. whether people accept it or not is a different story. I'm not to familiar with other religions th at you mentioned except buddist beleive in self and it seems like buddah is thier God although they deny that. IMO
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have learned about many, and I still am learning. I'm not set in any one path, so I think that helps me be a lot more open minded..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• but i'm not so sure about it. At one point i wanted to study other religions specifically buddism but i was guided to Islam by the Mercy of The Creator. I'm happy with it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I know basics of most religions. Im learning more inner workings on various religions that interest me.
    I grew up christian and am now eclectic pagan/wiccan so those particular faiths I have good understandings of.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think other religions are really fascinating... though I haven't formally 'studied' other religions since taking a university elective in world religion back in my university days, I have done reading about Buddhism (which I practice), Hinduism, Islam, and Gnostic Christianity. I also did a lot of reading about Wicca and more general Paganism back in high school. I find the variety of beliefs really interesting, in general I tend to think of different religions and philosophies as different ways that people use to get to the nature of reality or the heart of existance.

And just to clear up a misconception mentioned above... Buddhists don't worship the Buddha. Buddhism is kind of an agnostic religion- belief in a creator deity is neither encouraged nor discouraged. Some believe in God (in some shape or form) and some don't. But the Buddha is not seen as being any more divine than anyone else and is not a god.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I love learning about other religions. I feel that if you dont learn of other people and their beliefs your close-minded. We all live on this earth and its always good to see other peoples point of view.;See why they do cetain things and why they believe what they believe. Its interesting.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009