Lots of moms go through these feelings, right....?

My 8yr old son has a field trip today to Sea World. A big place & I'm not there. The first time he's had a trip like that & I'm not there with him.

I came very close to not letting him go, but then decided as long as he could be in his teacher's group then it would be okay - I know her fairly well & I don't know too many of the parents who are going. Didn't want someone I didn't know in charge of my child. I could just picture him going to the bathroom & no one noticing if he didn't come back.

I cried after I dropped him off - silly right? It's very hard to "let go" for lack of a better term. I think of children like Sandra Cantu who was recently murdered & I worry about someone taking him.

Then as if this wasn't enough, it's drizzling today which made me think of bus accidents...! Does it get easier with your other children? Is this type of worry normal or am I obsessive? :o(

blessed3times

Asked by blessed3times at 9:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can understand your feelings. Just keep thinking positive..you should invest in one of those tracking devices you can put on there backpack. I think when my kids get older I am getting one for each of them. but seriously your son is with his teacher and a bunch of other moms and i guess dads. he should be just fine. he is 8 years old so he is old enough to understand the aspect of staying where he belongs and sticking with his group. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I totally get this. It's normal.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It is normal... Mommas worry about everything! :)
    For us we are thinking about homeschooling. but before that i wanted to be class mom & do everything... but even i couldnt do that i wouldnt worry to much about my kids safety I still remember going on field trips as a child & enjoyed it. it was safe. the teachers did a good job.. i think id worry more about my kid enjoying herself & behaving well lol...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm sure I'll get like that once it's time for my baby to go to school. She's only 5 months, but still sometimes I secretely wish I could get fired so that I can stay home with my daughter LOL.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Thanks you guys. I feel a little better. :o)

I wish I didn't have the unfortunate ability to remember every horror story I've ever heard. I think that's part of what makes stuff like this so hard.

I was watching "48 Hours Hard Evidence" the other night on TLC and one poor woman who's daughter had been murdered by a serial killer said: "You just never think about something like this happening..."

And my first thought was - "You're lucky then, cause stuff like that crosses my mind quite regularly!"

And my paranoia gets worse when I hear of children like Sandra Cantu....not only murdered by a Sunday school teacher - someone you would think you could trust, but the woman was also the mother of one of her close friends.

Makes you want to keep your kids in a bubble which of course isn't healthy, but STILL!!!!!!
    blessed3times

Answer by blessed3times at 10:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I felt like this last year when my son (then 7 and in 1st grade) went on a field trip to Sesame Place (near Philly, about 1 1/2 hours away)... I mean it's so crowded and when we go to an amusement park as a family (I have 3 kids) it's hard enough for me to keep an eye on MY OWN 3 kids... let alone a chaperone who would have 4-5 kids each. My son is also on the Autism spectrum. He's mild and in a regular classroom, but he is naive and very shy and unassertive, so I was really worried, but his teacher reassured me that he would be taken care of. He did just fine and had a blast :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2009