do you always put shoes on your baby?

My son is crawling and moving everywere, he crawls on tile sometimes and drags his feet alot. Should i put shoes on him all the time or is he fine?

dO you keep shoes on your kids all the time?
when you go out?
socks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I kept shoes on my children every time we left, I'd set the infant next to me when my husband and I put our shoes on, and as toddlers they learned to sit still as I put shoes on them before leaving, they wore shoes out of the hospital after they were born, but I did not put them on when they were in the home or crawling about inside playing, we at our home don't wear shoes indoors either.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i didn't always put shoes on my kids until they started trying to walk. When we went into public i usually just left his socks on or if it was hot I would just leave him barefoot or sandals. but if he is just crawling I wouldn't worry with it. he is fine like he is.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, until they are walking I don't worry much with the shoes, unless the weather is cold and/or wet. During the warm months my kids go shoe-free all the time!

My six year old isn't walking yet and she HATES shoes, so she pulls them off as fast as I can get them on her. So during the summer it is NOT worth the fight with her. I always bring shoes with me just in case someone says something about her having no shoes on. I'll shrug and say "here they are, but she doesn't want to wear them"

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I put shoes on him when we go out, but around the house no. He takes them off, so its no use, and when he walks its on carpet and he doesnt slip.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• shoes should only be worn outside to protect the feet. Babies learn best when they can feel their feet on the ground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I usually leave her with her socks on. Lately it's been getting warmer and her in Illinois summers are humid so I plan on leaving her barefoot. She's 5 months by the way, when we do go out I usually put on her little gym shoes. But mainly at home she's barefoot.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I dont. My dd goes barefoot if the weather is really nice and when we are home. She wears socks out too but not lately its been wayyyyy to hot. In the winter its the whole shabang, socks shoes or boots, ya know!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't put shoes on my 10 month old daughter at home, I put socks on her if it's cold. I try to put shoes on when we go out, they usually don't stay on her feet and I end up trying to keep up with them so we don't loose them. I'm just trying to get her use to putting them on when we go bye bye. I was raised a barefoot hillbilly, In summer the only shoes I wore were flip flops.
    sweetpea6608

Answer by sweetpea6608 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son only wore shoes during the winter outside to keep his feet warm before he was a year old. He had calluses on his knees and feet from crawling around. Kids really don't need shoes to protect their feet until they are actually walking outside and even then, in a clean environment, it's better to be barefoot. Shoes kind of change the way feet grow and the current expert feeling on shoes is that little ones should go barefoot as much as possible.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If it's not cold, it's totally fine for a crawling baby to go barefoot, even outside. My daughter's 7 months and when it was chilly I used soft shoes (Robeez) because they helped keep her socks on (lol), but now that it's warmer we're not doing shoes as much.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009