Fer-in-sol, 2ml 2x a day???

my 1yr old has low iron, doc told me over the phone.
He said give my baby 2ml, 2 times a day! Isnt that too much?
I told him that as the box says 0.6ml once a day will provide 150% of daily iron.
He said my baby had very LOW iron and requires 2ml 2x a day.
I personally think thats too much.....(am not a doc, just a mom), should i listen to doc or should i just follow the directions on box?
At least she gets some iron supplement, right?
My FIL was sent home from the hospital after having a mild heart attack and the doc prescribed him medication to keep his pulse low and turns out, they overdosed him as he was feeling too weak and his doc told him the hospi ppl told him to take one too many pills! he could've died!
is anyone's 1yr old taking 2ml fer-in-sol 2x a day?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not a doctor, but I am a nurse.........and it is ALWAYS smart to question anything that you feel doesn't sound right. I find mistakes in prescriptions and dosing all the time. It is my job as a nurse to be patient advocate and catch mistakes because Doctors ARE human. I have not met any who would intentionally harm somoene..........but mistakes happen for sure.
    That said, a high dose of iron like what you describe does not sound out of the ordinary for the short term. Getting the levels up to the normal range, and then lowering the dose to maintain it there is common. You will need to watch your child for stomach upset and constipation, though.....and expect very dark stools. Iron will turn feces nearly black and can really bind up little ones, so let your doctor know if kiddo doesn't have any stool for more than 48 hours.
    Blessings!
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 1:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• When my son came home from the hospital after being born, for some reason his iron was way low too. I had to give him iron twice a day as well until it got to a normal good level. I would do what the doc says. Will you have to take him in and have his blood checked for the level needed after he has been on the iron for awhile?
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yes end of next week, another blood test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'd listen to the doc. Keep an eye on her for anything out of the ordinary, though. Then see what doc says after the next blood test.

The box assumes the child has a normal level of iron in his/her body and is only getting suppliments not provided by food. If your child is low on iron, then she needs needs more than just the suppliment, she needs to regain the "normal" range as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Why is it that people doubt the guy with the medical degree and come here to ask a bunch of people with OUT medical degrees if the guy with the training is right or wrong?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• believe or not, anon 10:30 -- sometimes the guy with a medical degree is human and makes mistakes.

sometiems people just wnat comfort from someone else who has been there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

I agree!  If she's so concerned about the dosing, why not ask the doctor directly?  This isn't CafeDoctor, it's CafeMom, and I certainly wouldn't put my child's health in jeopardy by taking advice from untrained non-professionals.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2009