What's the PTO culture like at your school?

My oldest is starting Kindergarten next year, and I'm incredibly nervous - not for him but myself! The school is full of affluent sahm's (which includes me), so I'm assuming there will be a thriving PTO/volunteer scene, but I'm very shy and tend to never break into cliques. I'm afraid there will be a bunch of mommy cliques and I will be left out affecting both me and my son's social life. Is the PTO scene really reminiscent of Junior High or am I worrying needlessly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've never been to a PTO meeting at my boys school (ones in Kindergarten and ones in 3rd grade). But, the feeling I get is that yes they are very clique. I do volunteer for stuff that I am able to do and try not to get too involved with the cliqueness of it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I was never at a PTO meeting until this year, since I volunteered for the school's carnival and the meetings are held with the PTO meetings. Everyone seems really nice!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• When my daughter started elementary schools, most of the involved parents were working moms, like me. After a couple of years, some stay-at-homes who used to have power jobs took over and made everyone miserable and I stopped being involved; they made me feel that my time was less valuable than theirs.
    Worse, they pushed a very upscale agenda, which alienated many families. They replace the family fundraising dinner with a more formal adult only event; not only were the tickets more expensive, but now parents had to pay a babysitter, too. They sold t--shirts designed by a parent that were quite nice, but had the names of families who had donated a minimum of $250 to the school, further alienating struggling families.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2009