For those claiming the founding fathers were deists . . .

I have no clue where you all got your information in regards to this, but I did some digging myself, and found no evidence of this claim whatsoever. Quite the contrary, I found that the majority of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence were, rather, Protestant Christians - Episcopalian, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist (which has since merged with the Evangelical Reformed church to form the Church of Christ) being the most dominant.

I did find that Abe Lincoln was allegedly a deist, based on his editing of the bible and other evidences.

But the founding fathers - Nope. Not a one.

http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Meh, IDK, but I love this:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444175/History_Lesson_of_In_God_We_Trust_and_Other_Things

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It does not really matter what religion they are because they made sure religion was not part of the government. So what does it matter what they believed at home? There is information out their based on what they say to show that they believed a thousand diffrent things. Back than just like now you can align yourself with one religion, but not agree 100% with that religion on a lot of things.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would like to recommend a book, The Faiths of the Founding Fathers by David L. Holmes. It is a very well researched book about this very subject. I digs into the personal religions of the Founding Fathers by providing their personal letters to others, but it also reflects on the FF's intent to separate church and state regardless of those religions. The reason I suggest a book is because I don't enjoy debating using internet information. Hope this helps.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• George Washington (1st pres.) - Deist
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd pres.) - Deist
    James Madison (4th pres.) - Deist
    James Monroe (5th pres.) - Deist
    Abraham Lincoln (16th pres.) - None

You're link is for a Religious site, so of course they would say the Founding Fathers were not Deists, and what does it matter anyway? Deism is not Satanism, they STILL belive in god:
    Deism is a natural religion. Deists believe in the existence of God, on purely rational grounds, without any reliance on revealed religion or religious authority. Many Deists reason that since everything that exists has had a creator, then the universe itself must have been created by God.

Try here:
    http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html
    http://citizentom.com/2008/09/10/deism-and-the-founding-fathers/

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• George Washington (1st pres.) - Deist
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd pres.) - Deist
    James Madison (4th pres.) - Deist
    James Monroe (5th pres.) - Deist
    Abraham Lincoln (16th pres.) - None

So they were "free thinkers"? And what's so wrong with that? I think it's what made them such wonderful leaders.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I learned in school that many were Deist. I very much liked the idea that they were and i still do! I am just wondering...maybe they were Deists that claimed a different form of religious affiliation due to different reasons or just simply to be part of a church because church is very ingrained into our society. I know there are people today that are a Deist or Polytheist (among others) but go to a denominational Christian church like ( Presbyterian or Baptist). I think it is possible. I would like to have a chance to research it more. I don't have my school ciriculum in front of me but I can say that it was a Christian education program and they gave a list of Deist and talked about it. If I remember right Benjamin Franklin was one too :)

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• "It is becoming increasingly popular by the humanist philosophy of our day, to adamantly affirm that all of our founding fathers were deists and rejected Christianity! Contrary to what modern skeptics say, George Washington was not a deist. He was a firm believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work. We invite any doubter to check the records at Washington's native county, West Moreland, Va., where his last will and testament contains the testimony written by him: Being heartily sorry from the bottom of my heart for my sins past, most humbly desiring forgiveness of the same from Almighty God, my Savior and Redeemer in Whom and bye the merits of Jesus Christ, I trust and believe assuredly to be saved and to have full remission and forgiveness of all my sins."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• John Adams in a speech to the military in 1798 warned his fellow countrymen stating,

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration of Independence said.

"[T]he only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be aid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments. Without religion, I believe that learning does real mischief to the morals and principles of mankind."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009