Would you abort your child if you found out at the scan that they had some kind of disability?

The reason i ask is because a couple over here in the UK are suing the NHS Trust because they did not pick up on a RARE birth defect during the 20 week scan leaving the child with severe disabilities. The couple are saying that the NHS ultrasound technician "Robbed them of the chance to abort their child"

By the way....the child now 14!

Please read the story (link below) So you can fully understand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175000/Couple-sue-hospital-failed-detect-babys-severe-disabilities-pre-birth-scan.html

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely not. Not ever. It is not up to me to decide what child should live or die regardless of what value I place on his/her life. To abort a child because of a disability is to say that disabled children are less deserving of life. It is also saying that disabled children have a lesser quality of life. NEITHER of those things are true.

"I couldn't handle it" is a load of bull as well because at ANY time your "normal" child could have an accident or a problem that would cause a disability and what would you do then? Would you give your child up for adoption? Abandon him/her? No, you'd deal with it. What's the difference between the two?

They were positive my friend's son had Down Syndome from all the testing they did before he was born. Doctors advised an abortion and my friend refused. Not only does her son NOT have DS but he is a musical prodigy. Funny how that turned out isn't it?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Personally, absolutely 100% NO I would not.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Probably not, but it would have to depend on the defect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I got the scan to find out if my baby will have downs syndrome and though it is never conclusive until the baby is born. I wanted to know so that i could be ready and be prepared for a child with special needs.

I suppose my question is a bit awkwradly written in contrast to the story and reason provided.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Depends on the disability. If it were something that would cause the child a lifetime of pain, or the child would be a vegetable, yes, I would abort it. Otherwise, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No. I think I would feel way to guilty for doing so. Besides god gave me that child for a reason. And I would love that child just the same.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 9:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree totally Nikky.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No.... comes easy for me, but might not for others. This is a very difficult question.
    A reason why we can't tell others what they can or can't do.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think i have what it takes to mother a disabled child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2009