baby einstein?

Do you think this is good for babys or not?
I never thought of putting my baby infront of a tv.
Why would you put your baby infront of a tv at such a young age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was very fussy. We tried it when she was just a few months old (and all through her first year) just to see if it would distract her or calm her down. She hated it! Within minutes, she would be screaming.

And actually, no. There are NO studies showing that baby einstein has any positive effect on babies. There are lots showing that any TV can be harmful though. The entire Baby Einsien franchise was built on a study done on COLLEGE STUDENTS. They were asked to listen to various types of music or silence while studying for a math test. Those who listened to Mozart did the best on the test. Does this mean that they will retain what they studied longer than the others? No. Does this mean that what was true for 20 year olds is also true for babies? No.

It's a gimic, that's all. Babies learn by watching actual people. Not cheap puppets and flashy lights.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think it's pointless, really, but it does provide a nice 20-30 minutes of peace for me occasionally if I'm desperate for a few quiet minutes, I can buckle him into his high chair and take a break without too much worry.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Actually, most kids won't just sit and stare and not be playing. It's more for subconscious learning. I really like the Language Nursery one because, it's proven fact that when kids are exposed to other languages as early as possible, it's earsier to learn other lanuages later on. As opposed to never hearing anything but English till you are in high school then attempting to learn Spanish. It get those areas of their brain to connect and grow. Also the Mozart helps with cognative skills. And they have one with sign language that is helpful. But, every movie is gear toward different ages. And if you use them with the toys and books and all sort of other experiences, it will just be one more thing your child has been exposed to and can learn from.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I also wouldn't suggest buckling them in and kind of forcing them to watch. It should be played where they hear while playing or you sit with them and encourage them to learn with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My niece LOVES Baby Einstein. She will sit there and watch it all the way through and if you get in her way she'll move her head so that she can see what's going on. She just sits there and makes the movements the animals make or dance to the music.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• There are studies that show an increase in brain development and baby einstien.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 10:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Thanks I am going to buy it now!
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's mind numbing, that's all. They stare at it because it's movement of bright colors. Save your money, turn on the radio and make the toys move (play with the baby) yourself! A lot cheaper and has the same effect...the baby is entertained.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As for the foreign language exposure... yes, kids who are exposed to other languages at early ages have an easier time learning them as adults. But several studies have shown that this "exposure" must be from actual people, having actual conversations, in front of the child. In the same way that you are teaching her English. Even watching real people on TV speaking in a different language hasn't been shown to have any effect on a child's ability to learn that language. Watching puppets certainly hasn't been shown to help. Real people, talking in front of and to the baby is the only proven way to teach a child a language.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Oh and if you want to take a gamble that just hearing a character on TV speak in a different language is enough - simply use the other languages available on just about every kids DVD out there. Every Disney DVD comes with several languages to choose from.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009