what items do I need to homeschool

pens, paper filing cabinet classroom chalkboard

blaineysmom

Asked by blaineysmom at 9:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• A ton of patience!! Books for each age level, kids that will respect you as their teacher!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• CM has some great groups for homeschooling they will be able to help you out ALOT & get you off in the right direction!
    The first thing you need to do is learn the laws of homeschooling in your state. contact your childs current school to unenroll. figure out if you will make your own curriculum, or buy curriculum...

good luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Got to www.hslda.org to find out the homeschooling laws in your state. Another thing I would do, and have done with mine, is read books by Cynthia Tobias on learning styles and find out how your child learns. This will help a LOT when figuring out curriculum! I am a mom of 5 homeschooled kids. These helped me, so I hope they help you, too.

singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Remember that the social side of school is as important as the learning! I considered home-schooling my son, but eventually sent him to mainstream school, because he is an "only" and we had recently moved house. He knew no other children and would have been so lonely.
    Plan time for your child(ren) to socialise. Network with other homeschoolers locally and try to arrange group sport/activity sessions together (they may already do this and be glad for one or two more).
    Consider joining with other homeschoolers to take advantage of different parents' skills. Friends of ours did homeschool their two children, as part of a group with 2 other families. It was very successful. They were careful to agree on ground-rules and venue for their "school" before they started. It did help that 2 parents were teachers already, but many parents are natural teachers anyway.
    Involve your child(ren) in activities in your local community.
    LizzieMade

Answer by LizzieMade at 5:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009