Is this selfish?

I really want mother's day to be about me this year... is that totally selfish? I mean, the past two years it's been all about my MIL. We go over there, lavish her with gifts, fix her meal, and spend the entire day there. I want to spend quality time with MY family.

I can't even call my mom to chat( I call to wish her a happy mother's day, and that's it) on mother's day because we get up and go. And my nana, I didn't have time to call her at all last year.

Am I being selfish? Or do I have a right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You are a mother. You absolutely have the right.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• oh you really have a right. I mean now that I am a mom I wish i could just stay home have breakfast in bed and spend it with my little ones. I don't want to go to my moms but then again I do because she is my mom. but i would not stay all day there. I would express your feelings to your husband and maybe he will change things. communicate.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Absolutely not! You are Mommy too and deserve to have a day you want. I go to my MIL and spend 1/2 the day there. And I'm having to do everything I always do daily and then some! And I don't even get an acknowledgement from my MIL on that day! Then we take my mom out. By the time we get home everyone is tired and ready for bed, including me! I'd like a calm Mother's Day this year! I just want to stay home with my babies! Tell your DH that your MIL is welcome to come to your home, but you want your gift to be a day with your family.  Tell him to honor the mother of HIS children.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no, it's not selfish.. let your dh spend time with HIS mom & you spend time with yours... or on saturday go to his moms and sunday go to yours... that's what we do anyways
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I dont think thats selfish. YOU are the mother in your family. Your MIL had her days, and now its time for you to have yours.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We always made time for all moms. Me, my mom, and my MIL. Because, hello, we are ALL moms. If anyone is being selfish I'd say it's your MIL.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• you have a right.. you are the mom.. you can do whatever you want with YOUR mother's day.. and if you don't feel like lavishing your MIL anymore.. then don't!! Don't exclude her certainly call and say happy mother's day we love you.. and maybe send the family over there without you after some family time so you can have some relaxing time.. but you can certainly remind your family that your a mom too, and that you should be able to celebrate your motherhood as well.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You can probably work it out to do something special with your mom and your MIL even if it's not ON Mother's Day. Or Invite them both out for brunch or dinner on Sunday if you're all in the same town, instead of having to choose. We have never lived in the same town with either my mom or MIL, several hundred miles away from both, in fact, so I never had this issue and trust me, there were many years when I wished I did! This will be my first Mother's Day since my mom passed away last year and although I usually didn't get to spend it with her I'm still not looking forward to it. So enjoy both your moms while you can and make sure your dh realizes that you deserve some special attention also!
    napoli

Answer by napoli at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That's why it's Mothers Day, and yes you should come first in your family that day!! As for MIL, her Husband should make it a day for her, not the entire family, and if you want to have some time with Your Mom then you should... That day it's up to you what goes on, so go have a Happy Moms Day!!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My parents send ME mothers day gifts! They say it's because I'm the Mom of their grandkids :) I get her a prezzie too. We live 11 hours apart :(
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2009