sunscreen for mixed children?

my boyfriend seems to think that our son does NOT need sunscreen, because he his half black. i beg to differ-what is everyone elses take on this?

JBT520

Asked by JBT520 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• everyone needs sunscreen it doesn't matter what color your skin is
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think that just because he is unlikely to get burned does not exclude the fact that excessive exposure to the sun without protection can/will age his skin as he gets older, and can cause skin cancer.

You should be putting sunscreen on him until he is old enough to make the decision to not want it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Everyone should use sunscreen no matter what color their skin is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If he is black he should know that black people get burned and get skin cancer too-they just don't turn red. My son is half black two and someone at his daycare told me they didn't know I wanted him to wear it since "he already has dark skin" Hello? Why would that make a difference?
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 10:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I never got burnt until I was in FL. I was laying out on the Gulf of Mexico without sunblock and got burnt no blisters but I did get burnt. I am black and white. I do put sunscreen on my son when we go out and are going to be in the sun for long periods of time. I guess it jus really depends on how dark your son is and where you live. I rarely ever wear sunscreen though.
    mommy806209

Answer by mommy806209 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Wearing sunscreen has nothing to do with not burning...it's to protect the skin from sun damage.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• thanks for such quick answers everyone-and thanks for reassuring me that i was correct :)
    JBT520

Answer by JBT520 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Everyone does need sun screen no matter what color you are.... My kids are part blk to. My boys get darker in the summer time then what they are even tho they look white... in the summer u can tell they got that black in them.
    HoneyBee06

Answer by HoneyBee06 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Everyone needs it no matter your skin color.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Everyone can develop skin cancer. People with darker skin are less likely to do so but that's LESS likely - not impossible.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009